The Minnesota Twins is an American professional baseball team based in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The Twins compete in Major League Baseball (MLB) as a member club of the American League (AL) Central division. The franchise was founded in 1901.
The team was initially called Washington Nationals, also referred to as Senators. This is because the franchise was in Washington in the first half of its competitive career (almost 60 years). At first – under the leadership of Ban Johnson and Fred Postal (1901-1903), then Thomas Noyes bought the franchise in 1904. He owned the baseball club until 1912 when he sold it to Benjamin Minor. Eight years later, he yielded a proprietary right to Clark Griffith, who owned the Senators until he died in 1955.
Calvin Griffith orchestrated the transfer of Minnesota Twins after 60 years in Washington, D.C., to Minneapolis-Saint Paul in 1961. The team was given a warm welcome to the new place because there were several brilliant players. Carl Pohlad owned the team from 1984 to 2009. After his death, his heir Jim Pohlad took over his responsibilities, and he still owns the franchise.
“Twins” are named after the Twin Cities area comprising Minneapolis and St. Paul, where they’re based now. Right after the dislocation, the team was called Twin Cities Baseball. The name “Twins” was derived from the popular name of the region, the Twin Cities, as the team was usually referred to as “Twin.”
Evolution of the Minnesota Twins Logo
Eleven is the number of logos the Minnesota Twins had. Originating as the Washington Senators, the club undertook several name-change redesigns. Moreover, the debut emblem is radically different from today. In the first versions, the predominant letter was “W” – from the name of the state of Washington. Now we use a form of printing with a diagonal inscription in the middle.
1901 – 1904
Initially, the team was called “Washington Senators,” Their logo was a classic dark blue letter “W.”
1905 – 1935
The team nickname changed to “Washington Nationals.” In the next 20 years, the logo still was the blue letter “W,” which had slight changes.
1936 – 1937
The dark blue letter “W,” which stands for Washington, had a thick red outline.
1938 – 1947
Designers removed the red outline from the logo, and the dark blue letter became bigger.
1948 – 1952
Navy blue letter “W” is with a red outline again; however, it’s now thinner.
1953 – 1956
In 1953, Washington Nationals used a full-featured design on its logo for the first time. The U.S. Capitol Dome is busting out of a white and red baseball. There is a white baseball bat with a red outline in the background. Dark blue baseball cap with a small letter “W” is on top of the Capitol Dome.
The Senators continued with the same logo as the Nationals’ final logo, which depicts the U.S. Capitol Dome, baseball, bat, and the team’s cap.
1957 – 1960
The new emblem features a caricature of a U.S. Senator winding up to throw a pitch, team name behind on blue and red circle, Washington Monument also is in the background.
1961 – 1975
When the team was renamed “Minnesota Twins,” they also changed the logo. Illustrator Ray Barton created the iconic image of Twins “Minnie” and “Paul” wearing baseball uniforms bearing the initials of Minneapolis and St. Paul shaking hands over the Mississippi river on a light blue design the state Minnesota late in 1960 and a white baseball. Whatever the case, Griffith decided to turn the drawing into the team’s official emblem. Barton was paid $15 for his artwork.
1976 – 1986
Tenth, Minnesota Twins logo is similar to the previous one; however, it had some changes. Twins “Minnie” and “Paul” shaking hands over the Mississippi river with “Win! Twins!” above. Besides, light blue became dark blue.
1987 – 2009
The Minnesota Twins logo of 1987 features “Twins” in red with underscore highlighting “win” on a big red and white baseball. There’s also Minnesota in black above.
2010 – present
The club has now switched to a version based on the classic rondel: a clear circle with a wide stripe, edging, and a center ring that houses the main element. To indicate a sporty focus, the developers installed a baseball with two stripes in the characteristic herringbone pattern in the middle. This is followed by two inscriptions: “Minnesota” at the top and “Baseball Club” at the bottom. They are completing all the lines on the edge – blue and white.
The word “Twins,” which denotes the original team name, runs horizontally across the ball. It is executed in dark red with lower shadows that make the lettering convex. The “T” and “s” letters extend outside the inner circle, giving the Minnesota Twins emblem a stylistically consistent look. This logo was adopted in 2010.
Font and Color of the Emblem
Before the modern version, there was a logo that directly reflected the essence of the club’s name. It features two athletes, one in the Minneapolis Millers uniform, the other St. Paul Saints. They shake hands on opposite sides of the Mississippi River. A baseball and an administrative map of the state of Minnesota are used as backgrounds.
According to the designers’ concept, the idea of two twin cities was presented, which served as an excellent sports platform. Now this option has moved from the main to the alternative. The Minnesota Twins also had other cartoon-style emblems.
The modern logo includes two types of typefaces. “Minnesota” and “Baseball Club” are in an austere serif typeface. All letters in them are in uppercase. The center word “Twins” is in a curly handwritten type with underline and double shadows.
The emblem features white, red Scarlet and blue Navy. Also, a silver color was used, not among the official ones, while the proprietary gold Minnesota Kasota, on the contrary, is absent.