Chelsea was based in 1905. The first emblem of the club was a collective image of the British army veterans with medals on their chests. It was the logo of the Royal Hospital of Chelsea. It was not put on the form but appeared on the first match programs. So the club was nicknamed “The Pensioners.”
The fate of the club name was determined in 1905 in the pub “The Butcher’s Knife.” There were other options, such as “Stamford Bridge,” as they later named the stadium of the Kensington and FC London teams. Nevertheless, executives decided to save the name of the London district, where Mark Twain and Oscar Wilde lived, and where the club was based.
Meaning and History
The history of the Chelsea club is very rich and long. Chelsea football remains at the highest level in the world. This fact is known to everyone. The Chelsea logo is well recognized not only in England but also throughout Europe, as the club has many world-class awards. It is an integral part of the team.
Chelsea FC emblems have changed repeatedly, adapting to the fashion and tastes of the fans. Most of them depict a lion. This is a relatively late idea – it was presented only half a century after the club’s foundation.
By the middle of the 20th century, both the fans and the club’s management were tired of the old nickname “The Pensioners.” In 1952, manager Ted Drake decided that the emblem should be associated with the team’s new symbol, the blue lion. In a year, a renowned blue lion appeared in the blue circle. Besides, it was done in the original color of the Royal Blue club. The flowers depicted on the Chelsea Football Club logo, and they also befitting on the emblem of the England team, symbolize the country. The soccer ball is the symbol of the game. In the 1960-1970s, after victories in the Cup of the country (England), stars and cups were periodically added to the emblem.
1905 – 1952
On the debut logo, a man in an army headdress with the inscription “CH” is painted. Four medals adorn its shape. The image was borrowed from the coat of arms of Royal Hospital Chelsea, where veterans of the British army were treated. The graphics are simple, without detail. The palette is white and blue.
Along with the first emblem, its alternative version was used: a military man inside a blue ring stylized as a belt. The picture is made in color and contains the club’s full name: “Chelsea Football Club.”
1952 – 1953
In the middle of the 20th century, the team decided to replace the old symbolism. In anticipation of the final logo, Ted Drake’s manager proposed a temporary solution. The intermediate version included a monogram of the letters “C,” “F,” “C” against the background of a blue shield with white contours.
1953 – 1986
In 1953, the new emblem was finally completed. The blue lion standing on its hind legs was taken from the family coat of arms of the then head of the Earl Cadogan club. A lion holds a staff – the same as that of Westminster Abbot. Three Scarlet roses of Lancaster symbolize England, and two goals – a commitment to football. The blue ring around the animal represents the coat of arms of the London Chelsea area.
1986 – 1995
In 1986, Ken Bates, the new owner of the team, simplified and modernized the logo. The red lion lies on the white lettering “CFC” inside the blue circle.
1995 – 1997
The circle on the logo has disappeared. Blue letters stand out brightly on a white background. The lion is yellow, with the same blue contours.
1997 – 1999
The emblem of 1986 is returned. The only difference is that the lion is surrounded by yellow stripes, not red.
1999 – 2003
Designers again removed the circle on the logo. The lion turned white and blue, with distinctly outlined shapes.
2003 – 2005
With the arrival of Roman Abramovich, the club returned the 1986 logo, leaving a white lion. The primary color is close to blue.
2005 – 2006
Chelsea FC marked the centenary with a new logo. This is a modernized version of the 1950s club badge. It differs from the original in the arrangement of elements. Balls and flowers are on the sides, the word “Chelsea” – on top, inside the blue ring, “Football Club” – below. The inscription “100 Years Centenary 1905-2005” appeared in golden color. The figure of a lion is surrounded by shadows that create a 3D effect.
2006 – present
The club left an anniversary logo, removing only the inscription outside the ring. Soccer balls and roses are red, as on the emblem of 1953. The contours are golden-orange – darker than in the previous version.
Font and Color of the Emblem
The Chelsea FC team owed its current logo to its centenary when the designers developed a festive emblem. True, the primary basis for both versions was a graphic sign from 1953-1986, which depicted the main symbols of the country, city, and local aristocrats.
The classic elements of the club’s visual identity have survived to this day: a blue lion is taken from the coat of arms of the Earl Cadogan family, the same blue ring as on the Chelsea coat of arms, two Red Rose of Lancaster representing England, and a staff reminiscent of the Westminster Abbot pastoral staff. The only “football” signs that still allow the drawing to be identified as the emblem of a sports organization are two balls at the edges.
The Chelsea FC logo’s designers used a sans-serif font for the inscriptions, very similar to the Peignot Bold. This typeface was created in 1937 for the Deberny & Peignot foundry. Its author is the renowned typographer, lithographer, and painter Adolphe Mouron Cassandre.
The selection of the color scheme was carried out by specialists who were able to highlight blue and make it so that it does not interfere with the emblem’s visual perception. To do this, they combined the base color with white, red, yellow-gold, and gray. Moreover, the heraldic lion’s image contains several shades, due to which the designers managed to achieve a slight 3D effect.