The Italian motorcycle industry stands out among the world’s motorcycle manufacturers for its unrivaled beauty and reliability. The country in which many brands were created, which later became well-known, is characterized by the highest demand for products worldwide. Ducati or MV Agusta, Guzzi or Italjet Moto Srl, Moto Guzzi, and Benelli are a few Italian manufacturers whose names are familiar even to those far from riding motorcycles. Most of the Italian brands have become world legends in this area of production. Italy is not just a sunny country with a unique climate and friendly, hospitable people. This country is home to many outstanding designers and engineers, motorcycle racers, and mechanics. These people are the basis for the successful development and popularity of the Italian motorcycle.
Today, the production of motorcycles in the country is one of the important areas affecting the country’s economy. Unlike other European manufacturers, which yielded the palm in this area to Japanese, Chinese, and even Indian brands, the Italian motorcycle industry continues to develop and show good acceleration at the moment. Between January and June 2021 alone, more than 140,000 motorcycles of various types were sold, significantly exceeding the figures of the past decade.
The Abra brand has not become the Italian “long-liver” in the motorcycle industry. It existed for only four years – from 1923 to 1927. He was distinguished by the production of unique motorcycles and power plants of his production only. The tragic death of the founder of the company in 1927 led to the halt of all production and the termination of the company’s activities. DKW purchased the rights to the production and the company itself from the relatives of the founder of Abra. DKW has applied the acquired technology, with some of its modifications, to its brand’s motorcycles.
The emblem of the company is round. The shape of the circle was chosen as a symbol of infinity, unity, and cyclicality, meaning the rhythm and constancy of movement, which were the principles of the Italian brand Abra. The inner space of the logo consisted of several circles. The inner circle is filled with red as a symbol of fire movement and action. Red was an accent color; it contrasted with a smaller white circle with the brand name. The name is made in the original version and black. The letters in height and from the sides repeat the shape of the circle with their bends, forming the composition of the circle.
One of the young but promising Italian brands in the motorcycle industry is Adiva, a company founded in 1994. Serial production of urban scooters on 2 and 3 wheels began in 2001, and already in 2008, their AD3 model received an honorary prize at the EICMA exhibition held in Milan. The model was distinguished by increased maneuverability and stability, which is important for urban conditions. This was ensured by the original chassis design, which provided two wheels at the front and one at the rear. All models of the brand are equipped with a retractable, weatherproof roof. The company is headquartered in Milan and has production sites in Malaysia, Taiwan. Distribution centers are open in Japan, China, and Hong Kong.
The desire to enter the market was supported by the company’s ambition, which paid much attention to forming its unique style. It is based on – innovation, modern design, and enthusiasm. These three components are reflected in the Adiva logo, which has shaped the visual perception of the integrity, excellence, safety, and versatility that characterize the entire Italian brand’s lineup. Visually, the emblem represents a circle that has received a volumetric bulge. The circle has an even lower part, on which an arrow-shaped element rests, directed with its apex towards the center. The sign represents a stylized image of a wheel connected to a fork. This element complements this visual perception of the composition and at the same time forms the contours of the letter “A,” which is the first letter of the brand name.
The history of the Aermacchi motorcycle brand began in 1912 with the formation of Newport-Macchi Company by its founder Giulio Macchi from Varese, which turned into the center of the aircraft industry in Italy. The company began to deal with aircraft widely used in air battles during the First World War. During the war, it was renamed Aeronautica Macchi, continuing to develop in this direction rapidly. After the war, the company refocused on the production of three-wheeled trucks and motorcycles. Their production under the Aermacchi brand was carried out until 1978. Although the brand was acquired by Harley-Davidson back in 1960, the new owner retained the original brand, then adopted a double name. In 1978, Harley-Davidson removed the reference to the old brand.
The company logo remained committed to the history of the brand’s development. It consisted of the first two letters from each word of the brand name, grouped one into the other, where the descending upper lines of the letter “M” form the crossbar of the letter “A.” There are outstretched wings made in two triangles on the right and left, whose tops were raised to the top. Both letters and the Aermacchi brand name are in Arial Std Black.
4 Agrati Garelli
At the end of the 19th century, Antonio Agrati of Cortenuova di Monticello Brianza opens a forge. The beginning of the 20th century makes its changes in the demand for the company’s products. The founder passes it on to his sons, Clodoveo, Luigi, and Mario, producing highly sought-after electric motors and bicycle parts. The tragic death of all three led to the succession of 16-year-old Carlo Agrati. In 1958, the company completely refocused itself on motorized bicycles and, at the same time, launched the first Capri scooter. The release of Capri gave rise to the full-fledged production of scooters and mopeds. The Agrati trademark as an independent brand existed until 1991, it merged with Garelli, with an office in Lachchiarella. All motorcycle models came out under a new name – Agrati Garelli.
The emblem has a circle shape, traditional for most Italian motorcycle brands, symbolizing infinity, unity, and cyclicality. In the middle of the circle is inscribed the letter “G” in black, made in a circle on the inner side. Its free space inside is flooded with alizarin red, providing a contrasting combination with black. This combination of achromatic black and red, the main color in the color palette, has a strong visual impact on a person, drawing the eye and attracting attention. The brand’s name is made in the Garelli font, located at the bottom of the emblem.
Aprilia is a brand known today not only in Italy but all over the world. Aprilia is now part of the fourth largest industrial group globally, Piaggio, which produces two-wheeled motor vehicles—founded in 1945 at Noale Alberto Beggio from Venetian to produce bicycles. The brand name was a tribute to the founder’s beloved Lancia Aprilia car model. 1960 is marked by the release of the first Sport Uomo moped. In 1968, the company’s ownership was transferred to the son of the founder – Ivano Beggio, who started the production of mopeds, as a result of which three models appeared on the market at once – Colibrì, Daniela, and Packi and the first Italian off-road vehicle Scarabeo. Today the President and CEO of Roberto Colaninno are the President of Piaggio.
The company’s logo is a vivid example of the ability to approach the promotion of your brand correctly. It is simple and laconic – nothing extra to distract the eye. The emblem is the name of the company, represented in graphic, Latin capital letters. An important accent is a red background, which was chosen to associate with the grief and grief of many people who endured the hardships of World War II. Red is a symbol of masculinity and fortitude, which were characteristic of the brand’s founder and the spirit of his company. The font used for the lettering was Neue Haas Grotesk Display 65 Medium.
After the end of World War II, the victors banned the Axis countries from maintaining the production of military equipment. This also affected the Caproni group, which was engaged in the manufacture of combat aircraft in Trento. Founded in 1910 by engineer Gianni Caproni, the company began to produce heavy bombers of analogs, which did not exist. Even the United States used them in its Air Force in 1918. After the Second World War, Caproni decided to start producing a light motorcycle under the Capriolo brand – with which its new motorcycle was associated. The death of the founder in 1957 led to a complete rebranding of the company. It gets a new name – Aeromere, and a new emblem. The company produces light aircraft and gliders in parallel with the production of motorcycles. In 1964, the company was acquired by the Laverda group.
The company’s emblem, which was used on the motorcycles of its production, very accurately reflects the spirit and hopes of its founder. A small deer is depicted in a jump on a heraldic shield with sloping sides, which gave the name to the brand. The shield is divided diagonally into two parts. The upper part is framed in black, in the field of which red flames are depicted. In the lower part of the shield – on the right – there is a white Latin letter “C” (the first letter of the brand name), and below it, in small print, the name of the founder and the location of the Caproni Trento enterprise. On the left is the figure of a deer.
In 1968, the production of buggy cars was founded in Bologna. The Autozodiaco brand existed for only 13 years, during which it managed to make its small contribution to the Italian motorcycle industry. In the mid-70s, the company launched the Moto Zodiaco Tuareg motorcycle. Its important difference was the absence of a generator and the presence of a mechanical start from the cord. To ensure cross-country ability, large air tires were used in it. In 1978 the company ceased to exist.
The company emblem was a round sign, the circle of which was formed by black and white checkers. The lower part of the arc of the circle was the name of the Autozodiaco brand. Inside the black field, an inscription in red Latin script – ALL – CARS, resting against black and white checkers. The text is underlined with a thin red line up to the first letter, slightly larger than the rest of the font. Next to the sign, there was a text name of the brand, executed in an inflated “cartoon” font, as a symbol of inflated motorcycle wheels. The font looked especially attractive and memorable when applied to a black background. The letters run over each other as if trying to get ahead of the next, which gives the sign some cheerfulness and attractiveness.
In 1911, the Italian brand Benelli was founded. The appearance of the company is quite original. The brand’s founder was a woman – a mother of six children, whom she taught how to repair bicycles to help make a living. Noticing the growing demand for motorized bikes, the company developed its bike engine in 1919. The continuation was the production of motorcycles for sports races, in which two of the brothers began to take part. Their successful performances in 1938 made the first three models particularly sought after. In 2005, the company went bankrupt and was bought out by the Chinese concern Qianjiang Group. The concern manufactures new products under the Benelli brand in China, producing light, small motorcycles and scooters in high demand in Asia.
Today’s Benelli logo has a more “Chinese” look. Paying tribute to the historical form and some of the elements characteristic of the company logo of the mid-20th century, the appearance has undergone significant changes. The emblem is a three-dimensional silver circle. The inner field around the circumference is occupied by a laurel wreath of dark green saturated color. The lower part shows the figure of a white lion standing on three legs with the right front raised, showing a warning. Above it, in black font, the brand name is applied – Benelli, above which three five-pointed white stars are placed in the form of a triangle.
9 Beta Motor
The Beta brand dates back to 1904 as Societa Giuseppe Bianchi, specializing in the production of bicycles. Gradually expanding and introducing new types of products, the company in 1940 carried out a complete re-equipment of production with modern types of equipment and changed its name to Beta. It consisted of the initials of the founder’s son – Enzo Bianchi, and father – Arrigo Tosi, who was the chief engineer of the enterprise. The brand released the first motorized bike in 1948. The transition to motorcycles occurred in 1950 when the first full-fledged motorcycle, the Ital JAP, was launched. The brand’s products have proven themselves well in off-road racing. Its models for the Motorcycle trials brought the fame of the company.
The latest rebranding of the company led to a redesign of the logo, making it more appropriate for the modern conditions of display and perception by a new generation of users. The logo is a red rectangle that symbolizes success and consistency, movement forward, and the necessary revival. In the center of the rectangle, there is an image of a white oval with uneven thickness placed at an angle upward. The oval demonstrates movement and conveys its visual perception as a wheel moving at high speed. The letter “B” is depicted inside the oval, whose shape and direction enhance the visual sense of speed and acceleration at the same time. All of these signs have a stripe with the colors of the Italian flag. Below is the full name of the Beta Motor brand. The word “Motor” is in small print and is centered below the first. The combination of black and red, diluted with white, provides a very visually effective contrast. Red becomes an accent color, and black and white form a certainty, demonstrating will and balance.
In 1988 the Borile brand, founded by Umberto Borile from Venice, began its involvement in the Italian motorcycle industry. The enterprise was small and could not boast of its serial production. And only in 1997, Borile B500T bring fame and fame to the company. Within two years, the world was conquered by two unique models – the B500CR cafe racer and the B500MT motorcycle. But the best-selling model was Borile Multiuso. This small manufacturer has annual sales of over 50 units, which can be customized to meet the needs of a specific customer.
The company logo demonstrates a pronounced brand identity. The emerald green ellipse contains the brand name in a white Latin script. Each letter of the name has an emerald green border. The text executed in lowercase letters has an individual design. The central figure in it is the letter “R.” Its upper and lower portions are reminiscent of the stylized shape of a motorcycle fairing. A simple and uncluttered logo design has a positive impact on its visual experience and ease of remembering.
The founder of a relatively young motorcycle brand in Italy, CR&S, is Roberto Crepaldi. For a long time, being a representative in Italy of such leading motorcycle brands of the world as Harley-Davidson, Triumph, and Norton Roberto, he constantly thought about creating his motorcycle. In 1992 Crepaldi opened his own company with the sale of retro motorcycles from the 60s and 70s. In parallel, Crepaldi begins to accept orders to create unique models, the chief designer he personally. An additional direction is the acceptance of orders for alterations of old samples. CR&S production is located in Milan and executes up to 100 applications per year from Russia and the USA, Japan and Australia, China.
With the CR&S logo, Roberto opts for a stylized wheel in motion. This perception is provided by the shape of the external and internal ellipses, the different slope of which enhances this impression. At the same time, this effect is supported by two black half-arcs emanating from the inner black ellipse. The half-arcs are deployed in different directions and are located symmetrically relative to each other. Thanks to these elements, the space of the ellipse is divided into two equal parts. There is a feeling of a wheel spinning at a fast speed, the spokes of which merge. The centerpiece of the emblem is the CR&S brand abbreviation in white on black space.
1973 – the year the Bimota brand was founded by three friends Valerio Bianchi, Giuseppe Morri and Massimo Tamburini in the city of Rimini. The name of the brand is the abbreviation of the three founders’ surnames. Initially, the company was engaged in developing exclusive chassis designs for existing motorcycle models, primarily sports ones. The 70s of the last century added the assembly of Lamborghini motorcycles. In the early 80s, Bimota began modernizing motorcycles of the world’s leading brands Yamaha and Ducati. After 2003, the plant released the Bimota DB5 Mille model, which was ahead of its time like all the company’s products. The release of the DB5 once again confirmed the brand’s core creed – creating future models with striking design and unique technology.
With its logo, Bimota made a sign that fully corresponds to the spirit and style of the brand. The emblem was notable for its laconic but effective visual presentation. The primary colors of the symbol are red and black. The first is the color of risk and extreme, movement and activity, energy and courage. It inclines the audience to act decisively. Black is characterized by a demonstration of elegance and luxury with decent quality. The tandem is distinguished by strength but some anxiety. This effect softens the white element that separates the two colors. Red feels brighter, brighter, more accentuated, more eye-catching. At the same time, this combination evokes the association of passion and elegance. The emblem is – the first letter of the name “b.” Below it is the text of the full brand name – “Bimota” in black.
For some time, a subsidiary of the American Harley-Davidson was present in the Italian motorcycle market, which was bought out by the brothers Claudio and Gianfranco Castiglioni in 1978. Until that time, the brothers owned the Cagiva company, which was engaged in producing hardware and spare parts for motorcycles. In 1978, immediately following the purchase of the Harley-Davidson subsidiary, they introduced two new racing models to the Italian market. In just a year, production has grown to 40,000 items per year. The beginning of the 80s of the last century was marked by the release of several SUVs, which opened a new production series. The MX model became the flagship of motocross cars. Today Cagiva is a huge, successfully developing concern.
The Cagiva emblem is designed in a modern conceptual style using active red. Thanks to him, the logo acquires a spectacular visual impact on the viewer, forming a feeling of extreme risk, a charge of powerful energy and courage in decision-making. The composition, enclosed in an oval with a variable thickness of the contour, evokes the feeling of reckless dynamics and movement at high speeds. The name of the brand is placed under this sign in a font similar to Egyptian Wide. The right slope symbolizes speed, acceleration. This impression enhances the elongation of the letters in the direction of the formation of visual movement.
The Ceccato brand is one of the prime examples of innovative Italian companies in motorcycle construction, formed after the Second World War. The company’s founder was Pietro Ceccato, whose profession as a pharmacist was quite far from producing motorcycles. However, Ceccato’s hobby and passion for control and engine ideas outweighed the professional affiliation. The first significant success was demonstrated by the motorcycle model Giro d’Italia, which was equipped with a single OHC propulsion system. The engine was a joint development with Taglioni’s Technical Institute students. The production of motorcycles was discontinued in the mid-60s of the last century.
Ceccato chose for its emblem a stylized image of a flying bird whose body was made in the form of a triangle. Wings were attached to the top of the figure, under which a red plate was placed. It bore the brand name Ceccato in white Dymond Regular. This choice of colors in the overall composition has a very strong visual impact. The most effective psychological effect distinguishes the combination. White and blue provide restraint and style. A warm and rich red adds dynamism to the entire composition.
For almost 50 years, since 1937, the Cimatti brand has represented the production of bicycles, mopeds, and motorcycles in Italy on the international market. Marco Cimatti named the new brand after himself, as he was a cyclist and represented the country’s interests at the Olympic Games. Like most pre-war enterprises of this type, the company began with the production of bicycles. In the mid-50s, the brand launched the first moped while setting up mass production. By the beginning of the 60s of the last century, motorcycles also went into the series, among which the Sports Luxury model was in great demand. The next model range of the company was racing motorcycles – Kaiman Cross. From 1972 to 1977, the company released two more motorcycles – road and motocross. In 1984 the company was closed.
The brand logo consists of a large number of elements and colors. In the center, in the foreground, there were 5 Olympic rings. They were made in red, yellow, green, light, and dark blue. The lower rings overlap the horizontal branch of the bronze laurel. On top of the first and third rings, there are dies in the style of unrolled scrolls, on which the inscriptions are made – MARCA DI in the first, and FABBRICA in the second. The name of the city BOLOGNA is placed under the rings on an elongated plate. This entire composition of elements was placed on top of a heraldic shield with vertical blue and red stripes. At the top of the shield is the brand name.
16 Ducati Motor Holding SpA
So Ducati Motor Holding SpA was a division of the Ducati concern. The department was responsible for the development and production of motor vehicles. The division’s headquarters are located in Bologna. Since the opening of production, the company has specialized in high-performance equipment. They are characterized using two-cylinder four-stroke power plants with “L” -shaped cylinders and a desmodromic valve. Today the company is owned by the German Audi AG.
The Ducati emblem is the epitome of professional product promotion. She has become a model for the effective use of modern technologies in the field of visualization. The logo is notable for its simplicity and conciseness, having only one element in its image – a heraldic shield of bright red color. In the upper sector of the shield, the brand’s name is applied in a silvery gray color. A slight tilt of the type to the right creates an imitation of tension before the start and the effect of moving forward.
17 Della Ferrera
A motorcycle manufacturer from Turin with 39 years of history. Della Ferrera gained fame for its technique, which won the Trofeo Turistico Nazionale competition in Cremona and other competitions before the First World War. Athletes widely used its products, which propelled the brand into a leading position among Italian motorcycle manufacturers. The brand’s stable and even successful development in the thirties of the 20th century was disrupted by the outbreak of World War II. The company was unable to recover. The post-war economic downturn in the country, devastation, and sanctions against the leading industries in the Axis countries led to the closure of Della Ferrera in 1948.
In the Italian motorcycle industry history, this brand has remained memorable for its original designs of motorcycles and the original logo, which stood out for its aristocratic and pretentiousness. The brand was so recognizable in its time that it did not need additional spectacular visual impacts on the consumer. The company logo was the brand’s full name, executed in a beautiful calligraphic font with vignettes in black – strict, laconic, and aristocratic. Both words flowed smoothly into each other – the monogram from the last letter of the first word connects the beginning of the first letter of the second word. Leaning from left to right symbolizes movement and the direction of the composition from top to bottom – a confident desire to win.
18 Energica Motor Company
One of the modern high-tech brands in the motorcycle industry is Energica Motor Company. The brand was created to develop and produce motor vehicles based on electric motors in 2010 with a research center and production located in Modena. The founder of the company is the CRP Group, a corporation specializing in processing materials using CNC and modern laser technology. Energica Motor Company’s official name was registered in 2014 when the company completed the first model from the Energica Ego line of eco-friendly motorcycles. They were first exhibited at the Top Marques exhibition in Monte Carlo.
Energica Motor Company logo was created taking into account the specifics of production and modern visualization methods. It is based on a symbolic image of a pulsating electric discharge, which smoothly envelops the text below with an arc. The letters are made in the variant of “continuation” of fluctuations, which ensures the graphic incompleteness of each of them as if forming peak indicators. The last letter, “A,” is a transition to a schematic representation of the electrogram. The initial and final letter of the brand is full of bright light green shade.
19 Fantic Motor
Since 1968, Fantic Motor, an Italian motorcycle manufacturer, has been present in the domestic and foreign markets. The company specializes in producing and exporting motor vehicles more focused on sports areas – motorcycles for enduro, go-karting, and three-wheeled mini-bikes. Within a short time, a new model of the Caballero light motorcycle was launched into production. In 1977, the brand launched the production of trial motorcycles, which led the company to a leading position in producing similar models. Its real masterpiece is the Fantic motorcycle. Today the company is developing a new direction – eMTB electric bicycles.
The company’s logo is a form of a coat of arms historically used in the emblems of medieval cities. The outline of the shield and the first row of the stylized tire track in the form of vertical rectangles, depicted in the inner space of the sign, are made in purple. Under them is the second row of imitation of the track from the tread, bright red. Above them is the brand name. The font is individual. The two words are placed one below the other, aligned to the left. The letters “F” and “T” correspond in size to the height of both words and play a unifying role. With its contrast, the composition attracts attention, providing the required emphasis on the brand name.
20 FB Mondial
FB Mondial first established itself in 1936 when the Bozelli brothers opened their factory in Bologna. The Italian company has become the most famous brand for the production of sports motorcycles Mondial. The official status of the brand was given in 1948. Throughout its existence, the brand has continued to be ahead of its time with its high-tech developments. FB Mondial products ensured riders to victory at the World Championships 5 times up to 1957.
TM FB Mondial had a memorable logo that combined aristocracy and luxury. The simultaneous use of black and gold shades provided this perception. The brand name was inscribed in a black oval with a gold outline. The emphasis is formed on the brand name, made in the original style. From the first letter, there was an arc that covered the entire text and ended with a monogram. The letter “O” had the shape of a bolt head with a slot for a screwdriver, hinting at the technical identity of the logo. The text went slightly beyond the oval. This color scheme is the most effective way to provide visual appeal and ease of brand memory.
Giuseppe Gilera, a young but already famous motorcycle racer, founded Moto Gilera in 1909. Its emergence was the need to improve the motorcycles on which Gilera took part in competitions. The company gradually expanded. In 1936, the brand began producing a series of racing motorcycles with a powerful propulsion system that provided the highest speed. Thanks to her, these models received the title of the fastest and made the company the most famous and very profitable. In 1939, the Saturno-500 was released, later included in the book of “motorcycle fame.” In the early 80s of the last century, the brand presented a new model that twice won the Paris-Dakar rally.
The Moto Gilera emblem is presented in a striking combination of colors that make a powerful impression on the viewer – red and black. To soften their psychological impact, white is added to the composition. The structure of the logo consists of two intersecting rings in a vertical position, in the common center of which a red rhombus is inscribed. The brand’s name is inscribed at the intersection of the rings, where the first and last letters consist of the arcs of each of the rings.
In 1905, a bicycle manufacturing and repair business in Tradate, Italy, was founded by Corrado Frera. The brand did not last long – only 29 years but managed to leave a significant mark in the history of Italian motor-building. Its flagship model was the 1931 Frera Motoleggera, which boasted high performance and attractive design. Today, the history of the brand can be found in the company’s museum located in Tradate.
The Frera emblem has been known to all Italian and many foreign cyclists and motorcyclists throughout the entire existence of the brand. One of the logo symbols was a wavy ellipse elongated vertically on a belt with a buckle at the bottom. In the inner space of the symbol, there was a royal canopy with a crown and a heraldic shield on which a Catholic cross was applied. In the center, through the entire composition, there was a text – the brand’s name. The first letter of the name was a unifying element, symbolizing unity and security.
A. Fusi & Co., SpA Milano is a company that actively shaped the history of the Italian motorcycle industry. Its founder, Achille Fusi, started as a motorcycle trader for the Belgian brand FN (Fabrique Nationale de Herstal), founded in 1889. In early 1932, Fusi began its production of RAS motorcycles from FN parts. This year is considered the birth date of the motorcycle brand. In 1933, the plant produced several models. The death of the founder did not end the company. Luigi Beaux took over its management. One of the original models was the motorized tricycle, released in 1937. In 1941, the M 25 CFS was manufactured, which became the basis for sports cars produced until the mid-50s of the last century. 1957 was the last year of the brand’s existence.
In the design of its emblem, the brand has chosen the most stable and visually attractive triad for humans since ancient times – red and black. Inside, on a black background of a rectangular rounded shape, the name of the brand – Fusi is applied in red lower case with white edging. Each letter is given a three-dimensional shape with the help of shadows.
24 Ghezzi & Brian
One of the youngest Italian motorcycle companies is Ghezzi & Brian from Missaglia. Founded in 1995 by Giuseppe Ghezzi and Bruno (Brian) Saturno, it focused on developing a new type of racing motorcycle. In 1999, it expanded its range to include urban models. An important difference between them is a pronounced individuality in design and a sporty style. In 2002, the company took up engineering developments in the field of motorcycle and automobile construction. The flagship of its production can be called two models of motorcycles – STW1100 and Furia.
In its logo, the brand used the colors of the national flag of Italy – green, white, and red. The original performance of the sign allows you to “see” in it several options for your interpretation:
- stylized image of a motorcycle kick-starter ratchets
- a uniquely created image of the first two letters of the brand name – “G” and “B.”
- motorcycle fuel tank hatch.
A good way to “tie” your symbolism to the production profile and brand identity. This approach to logo design makes it easy to remember. This is achieved thanks to the task set before the viewer to determine what the emblem symbolizes. The full name of the brand is applied under the sign.
Plinio Galbusera and engineer Adolf Marama Toyo, two passionate about technology, became famous for the unique development of the small Python and Sturmey-Archer engines, made in 1934. From that moment on, Moto Galbusera & Co. from Brescia is a vintage motorcycle company. For 21 years, this technique will saturate the market with reliable and safe motorcycles. By focusing on these parameters, sacrificing the development of speed characteristics, the brand has gained admirers among technology users for ease of movement. However, the post-war problems in the country’s economy significantly reduced the purchasing power of this category. The production was closed in 1955.
Galbusera has chosen the flying eagle as its brand, which is based on the brand name. The eagle is a symbol of a successful and promising start. At the same time, the proud bird personified success, victory and courage, greatness. The successful takeoff of the eagle was ensured by the elongated upper part of the letter “G,” which was a reliable support for the upper symbol. In addition, the lettering encompassed the entire text, visually unifying it and enhancing the visual effect of elegance.
The middle of the 20th century was marked by the emergence of another original Italian brand in motorcycle production. Italjet Moto Srl of San Lazzaro, Bologna, founded by the talented designer Leopoldo Tartarini in 1959. Since its inception, the company has mastered light equipment – motorcycles, scooters, which were distinguished by an elegant sports design. By the beginning of the 90s, the production of ATVs began, the demand for which increased. During this period, the brand created three particularly popular models – Dragster, Formula, and Velocifero.
The logo of Italjet is a graphic representation of the name of the company. The logo fully meets modern requirements for simplicity, providing ease of memorization. Ascender Sans WGL Bold Italic uppercase font was used for the text. The first word, “Italjet,” slopes to the right. The second word is below it in small print – “moto,” also made with a slant.
Founded in the 1930s by the master blacksmith Ferdinando Innocenti in Milan, Innocenti has become one of the most renowned for scooters and cars. Initially, the company produced scaffolding compounds patented by the founder. The Lambretta scooter brought fame to the brand. The brand divided its products into three main areas that functioned until the 70s of the last century – mechanical engineering, motorcycles, cars. The founder’s death in 1966 led to the inheritance of his son – Luigi, who sold the engineering production. Lambretta was produced in Spain and then moved to Indian factories. In 1997 the company was abolished.
During its existence, the brand was accompanied by an originally executed emblem distinguished by its laconism and “lightness” of design. The logo is an image of the first letter of the company name enclosed in a circle. The lettering was executed in the capital style – with a connecting “tail” at the top. This provided a memorable symmetry and a visual perception of the track as a zigzag. In this way, a connection was made with the direction of the brand’s production. Due to the severity of color and the absence of visual overload with elements, the logo acquires restraint, distinguished by the completeness of the forms. The emblem focused on the generalized image of the brand.
From 1939 to 1970, a Milan brand called Iso functioned in the Italian market of car and motorcycle manufacturers. The company immediately loudly declared itself with its high-quality products. The founder of the brand was Renzo Rivolta, a design engineer from Dezio. At the time of its foundation, the company had a different name – Isothermos, which in the late forties was changed to Iso Autoveicoli. Motorcycles, scooters, and three-wheeled motorized carriages, distinguished by their reliability, original design, and high price, became the main production profile. For several years, the brand has been developing and releasing a new model almost every year. They were Furetto in 1948, Isoscooter in 1950, Isocarro in 1951, Isomoto in 1954, Isosport in 1953 and Iso Diva. The last model was the Iso 500, released in 1961.
Rivolta’s passion for heraldry has left its mark on the brand’s emblem. A heraldic shield with a golden outline was chosen for its form. Stripes in the colors of the Italian flag ran vertically in the center of the shield. At the top, the stripes were superimposed on the company’s name, written by the founder himself. Under the inscription was a heraldic griffin. The emblem hinted at the aristocracy and high requirements that all the company’s products met and informed about the nationality of the brand and its technology.
The Italian brand Lambretta, founded in 1947, immediately gained recognition from the youngest part of motorcycle enthusiasts with its scooters manufactured in Milan. Lambretta scooters have become a symbol of youth and emancipation for a whole generation. Their characteristics and dimensions ensured ease of movement in the narrow streets of Italian cities. The original design, which constantly kept pace with the times, became an important addition to the youth style characteristic of the period of release of a particular model. Today, the brand’s production has moved to Switzerland, where the range has been expanded into manufacturing cars, watches and luxury accessories, clothing, and perfumes.
The brand stands out for its modern logo. Fully complying with the requirements of visualization and a new approach to the perception of images by the modern generation, the emblem is only the name of the brand. The typeface was custom designed by the Chank Company of Minneapolis and named Lambrettista. Designed in a bright red color, it provided the visual appeal of the logo. The brand sign symbolizes the fullness of life, activity, and energy, dynamism and strength, passion, and determination. All this is a characteristic feature of the products offered by the brand, those whose life philosophy is entirely consistent with these views.
The history of the Laverda motorcycle brand dates back to 1873 when Pietro Laverda created an enterprise for the production of engines for agricultural needs. The production facility called Laverda SpA was located in the hamlet of Brigance. After 45 years, the founder’s grandson, Pietro Francesco, renamed Moto Laverda SAS – Dottore Francesco Laverda e Fratelli and began producing mini-motorcycles. The first model was designed in 1947 as a garage development, not for full mass sale. The unexpected success of the model was the reason for the reorientation of the brand and preparation for mass production in 1949. This year marked the stable production of low-power, small motorcycles characterized by high quality, reliability, and durability. An important distinction of Moto Laverda was the mandatory use of innovative solutions in each new model. By 1952, Laverda motorcycles were the favorites in racing competitions. In 1985, the Laverda family abandoned further motorcycle production.
Like true Italians, Laverda strove to demonstrate their national identity in everything. This was reflected in the formation of the logo, which was quite simple. It was a circle divided into three sectors, each of which had one of the colors of the national flag of Italy, following the order of their placement. In the center, on a white field, the brand name is inscribed in lowercase letters. The font was specially designed for the brand and had the right slope typical of motorcycle and auto brands. Simplicity and conciseness ensured the recognition and ease of memorization of the emblem at one time.
31 Moto Guzzi
Genoese motorcycle manufacturer Moto Guzzi was founded in 1921 by the Parodi family – Vittorio Emanuele and his son Giorgio. They were joined by the pilot of the Italian Air Force, Carlo Gucci. The brand belongs to the group of the oldest motorcycle manufacturers in Europe. His first model immediately became the benchmark and determined the entire further development of the brand. In 1928, the company released a new model Moto Guzzi GT to popularize which Giuseppe Gucci traveled 4,429 km above the Arctic Circle. This model was named Norge. The end of World War II saw the light of the 1939 Airone 250, which opened a new wave of successful Guzzi lines. But in 2000, the brand was unable to withstand the competition and was absorbed by Aprilia, which became part of the Piaggio concern in 2004.
By creating their logo, the founders decided to pay tribute to the memory of the pilot Giovanni Ravelli, an assistant to Giorgio Parodi. He died shortly before the creation of the company. In his honor, a soaring eagle is placed on the logo, as on the emblem of the Italian Air Force. Under this symbol is the brand name – Moto Guzzi. Text in Casagrande Antifascista Bold font. The emblem acquired solemnity and restraint with a certain grandeur of performance. The composition of the eagle with the name of the brand made the emblem especially memorable and respectful.
32 MV Agusta
The Italian motorcycle manufacturing company MV Agusta was the brainchild of Count Domenico Agusta, established on January 19, 1945. The mission of this division of the aircraft manufacturer Agusta included the development and manufacture of engines, bicycles, and motorcycles. The production was located near Milan in Cascina Costa. In the fall of 1945, the first lightweight motorcycle, the Vespa 98 cc, was launched. This model went into mass production under the name MV 98, made in 2 versions. Following this model, racing versions went into the series. By 1952, the plant was producing serial motorcycles and scooters, among which there was a novelty – a four-stroke model in 2 versions – 175 CST and 175 CSTL. It was this model that became the prototype for the production MV Agusta 175 CSS-5V racing motorcycle. In the 1960s, motorcycle enthusiasts were delighted with the Checca. Some similarities in design with other manufacturers began to reduce sales volumes, which led to a complete redesign of the models in the mid-70s. But the owners of the company are no longer interested in this direction. In 1977, the motorcycle production was closed.
Despite his origins, the Italian count was not very keen on heraldry, which was reflected in the formation of the logo. The emblem of the company reflected all the main directions of its activity. The main element was a bronze-colored gear, over which a three-toothed link hovered in the form of a crown with the brand name inside. The cogwheel was overlaid with stylized blue wings – a symbol of the company’s core profile. On top of the entire composition, the abbreviation MV was placed in white letters, stretched from bottom to top, symbolizing the successful ascent and development of the brand.
The products of the Italian company Malaguti SpA, founded by Antonino Malaguti from San Lazzaro di Savena in 1930, aroused great interest among motorcycle enthusiasts worldwide. The founder was a woman. The main products are bicycles, which immediately conquered the market with their quality, high technical performance, affordable price, and original design. This trend continued with the reorientation of production after World War II to mopeds and in 1958 to motorcycles. An important characteristic was the use of small motors. In 2011, the company filed for bankruptcy. After seven years, the brand was bought out by the Austrian KSR Group GmbH, which continued producing spare parts for already manufactured products.
As its logo, the brand has chosen the textual name of the company and the graphic image of the letter “M” inside a red circle. This badge resembles the shape of a motorcycle helmet with a visor that forms the graphic design of the letter. The text of the name and the sign are made in bright red – the color of victory, success, and the desire to move only forward. The latter is enhanced by the graphics of the text, the font of which has serifs going from right to left, as a symbol of headwind.
The history of the Minarelli brand, founded by Vittorio Minarelli, begins in 1951 as a manufacturer of racing motorcycles. However, after seven years, the founder changes the company’s profile, focusing production on the production of only engines for sports motorcycle models. In 1967, the company was rebranded, and the brand name was changed to Motori Minarelli. At the same time, a new plant opens in Calderara di Reno. By the mid-70s, the company’s power plants were on most of the award-winning motorcycles. One of the most famous motorcycles was the 1972 Minarelli 50 GP. In 1990, close cooperation with Yamaha led to the takeover of Minarelli by the Yamaha Group. In the fall of 2020, Fantic became the owner of the brand.
The Minarelli emblem has been finished in an attractive warm green color. Thanks to it, the logo has a pacifying effect while simultaneously demonstrating the presence of a huge charge of energy. The font for the brand name is Hypersans Black, designed by Aah Yes. The designers proposed combining the letter “M” as the initial letter of both words, placing them one under the other. The designation of the upper and lower boundaries with the help of a line visually concentrates the name on the sign, separating it from all extraneous and superfluous. At the same time, this design method is an original visualization of the constant movement in a straight line in developing the brand’s production and its technology.
35 Moto Morini
The Italian motorcycle brand Moto Morini was founded by Bologna resident Alfonso Morini in 1937. The company’s history is complex, with many cardinal changes, in the intervals of which the brand managed to leave its significant mark on the Italian motorcycle industry. In 1987 the company was acquired by Cagiva. In 1996, it was part of the Texas Pacific Group. In the late 90s, the brand was acquired by Morini’s nephew, incorporating the company into his Morini Franco Motori spa. The last model of the company was the Granferro Hypermotard from 2009. Since 2010, the brand has announced a sale to the company. In 2018, ownership was passed to Zhongneng Vehicle Group.
The company logo is a sign of several elements located one above the other. The first is the brand name “motomorini,” made in Balgin Black Expanded by Studio Sun. Under the title, an imperial heraldic eagle is depicted in the color of withered leaves, contrasting with red elements. On top of the eagle, “M.” The letters are stacked on top of each other. Under the sign, there is an inscription in small print – ITALIA DAL 1937.
Italian engineer Mario Malanca has set up a small motorcycle parts business with his name. By 1956, he matured into his motorcycle production and released his first model. Having conquered the domestic market, Malanca began to focus on the markets of Asia and America. In 1980, the brand switched to making bikes with powerful propulsion systems. However, the process of developing new modifications was delayed. In 1986, unable to withstand the competition, the brand ceased to exist.
During the entire production period, the company was accompanied by a simple and easy-to-remember emblem – the product of a very successful design solution. The brand inscription was inscribed on the background of the three vertical stripes of the Italian flag, executed with the right slope. All letters were uppercase and made with thin bezels, which ensured the clarity of the visualization. The logo’s colors shape the perception of free space as a place for the company to realize creative ideas, consistency, and unlimited prospects. ShyFoundry’s SFPortabello Shaded font has been slightly redesigned with an attractive new shape. Under the first letter of the brand name, an inscription in small print was made in Italy.
For 36 years – from 1920 to 1956, the Italian market offered the consumer the products of its company – Motocicli Alberico Seiling (MAS). Its founder, Seiling, was a motorcycle designer and developer. For two years, from the 20th to the 22nd, he developed several motorcycle models at once. The company started its serial production in 1922. His OHV held the palm in its category for a long time.
The company logo had an attractive look and memorable visualization. It was a ribbon with an oval in the center and curls like ancient scrolls around the edges. The entire interior was red. Red in its darkest shades symbolizes power, strength, energy, speed, and confidence – which is in line with the idea and spirit of the brand. Combined with the bronze border of the font, the composition provided an associative perception of the brand as a stable and reliable enterprise. The word- MOTO is on the left side of the tape, and the right is CICLI. In the center of the oval – the abbreviation of the brand name – MAS. The city’s name where the brand is located – MILANO is written under the abbreviation in small print.
Maserati is a brand that needs almost no advertising and is known for its luxury cars worldwide. Its division Fabbrica Candele Accumulatori Maserati SpA, which since 1947 was part of the world’s largest corporation, Adolfo Orsi’s, was engaged in the production of spare parts for motorcycles and mopeds. The first motorcycle models to go outside the factory were the Tipo 125 / T2 and Tipo 160 / T4. Major changes in the design of the Maserati motorcycle line took place in 1955. For the next decade, the company was successfully engaged only in mopeds, the production of which was discontinued a little later.
The history of the creation of the Maserati logo is quite interesting. Its central element is Neptune’s red trident. This symbol was suggested to Mario Maserati by a family friend of the Marquis Diego de Sterlich. The trident is a formidable weapon in the hands of Neptune, which is located in the famous fountain Piazza Maggiore in Bologna. Neptune symbolizes strength and energy. As an artist, Mario took the advice. The logo is a trident that conveys the beauty of products and brand ideas, strength, passion, and high class.
1959 was a significant year for the Morbidelli family. In this year, Pesaro’s Giancarlo Morbidelli created a new Italian brand that became legendary, first in the field of woodworking and then in the production of motor vehicles. Originally a wood-based manufacturing company focused on innovation and ingenious design solutions, Giancarlo has transferred this to the motorcycle manufacturing process. This has become a hallmark of the brand. As a result, the company’s products were able to ensure the victories of the Italian athlete in 4 four world championships in motorcycle racing, leaving behind the eminent leaders at that time. The demand for the brand in the sports environment has increased so much that it has provided the opportunity to win numerous victories over the most famous Japanese manufacturers. In 1987, a merger with the SCM Group took place. The merger significantly expanded the capabilities of Morbidelli and increased the capacity of the enterprise.
The company logo has become a model of simplicity and brevity. Significantly ahead of its time, the logo has acquired a special appeal. The brand name in black, with a small bright red apostrophe accent, made the Morbidelli emblem one of the most memorable. A strong and disturbing combination of colors emphasizes its own merits in such a tandem. The red color looks like a torch in the dark. The emblem provided the brand with a spectacular demonstration of its passion, energy, and elegance.
40 Moretti Motor Company
Established in early 1925, the Italian Moretti Motor Company focused on designing, developing, and producing motorcycles. The founder, Giovanni Moretti, implemented his projects and provided similar services to other manufacturers of motor vehicles. At the end of the 30s, just before the outbreak of World War II, the brand gradually began to switch to automobile production, which became the main one after the end of hostilities. Until the end of 1989, the company produced sports cars, microcars.
The Moretti Motor Company emblem reflects the founder’s interest in heraldic elements. The logo is made in a medieval city heraldic shield with a jagged top, characteristic of the fortress walls. The accent of the logo is a blue stripe located diagonally across the inner field of the shield, which contains the brand name – Moretti Motor Company. The first word is written in strict italic type, which gives priority to its perception. The rest of the name is placed under it in small letters. The location of the name symbolizes the company’s growth prospects. The combination of silvery gray with rich red and blue tones of the central element provides visual impact and attractiveness of the composition.
For 22 years, the Motobi brand has been on the Italian motorcycle market. The brand was founded by one of the brothers of the Benelli family – the owners of the company of the same name, Giuseppe Benelli. He formed a company in 1948 called Moto “B.” The new company’s production included small motorcycles and scooters. 1953 is marked by the release of the innovative Spring Duration B200. At the end of 1955, two new modifications of the Catria were released from the plant stocks, which had many design advantages over previous models. The Catria led to a sharp decline in demand for the then-popular Moto Aermacchi 175cc. After the death of Giuseppe Benelli, his sons recruited the designer and former racer Prima Zanzani, who was finalizing the Catria, to manage the production. Each subsequent version of this model line was distinguished by a colorful and original design, improved characteristics. In 1962, the brand was acquired by the Benelli family company, creating the Gruppo Benelli-Motobi concern. In 1977, the Motobi brand was removed from the name. In 2010 the Austrians Michael Leeb Trading GmbH attempted to revive the brand in partnership with Demharter GmbH.
During its existence, Motobi has equipped its motorcycles with the original emblem. Being colorfully designed, the logo was highly attractive. This provided a professional approach to the choice of paint symbols: Brown, deep red, black, and white provided brightness and increased visual impact on the viewer. The content of the logo was the central image of a stylized wheel. The bottom of the shape has been cropped in circumference with the overlaid brand text overlaid. The city’s name where the brand was founded, Pesaro, was inscribed in white letters along the circle at the top of it. In the center, there was a three-dimensional mark of the brand “B.”
After the closure of the sports bike production by FB Mondial in 1957, the company’s chief mechanic and designer set up his own business. Giuseppe Pattoni named the new brand after himself – Paton. A former employee of FB Mondial, Lino Tonti, also took part in the company’s development. The founders began their activities to develop their own sports model, having received design documents for previously unrealized models from Mondial Racing. The first model came out with the double name Paton-Mondial. In 1962, the Paton BIC motorcycle appeared. The later modification of the BIC 500 has been the market leader for a long time. Giuseppe Pattoni died in 1999, leaving the company to his son Roberto. In 2016, the brand was bought by Advanced Group Srl.
Each company model was marked with an emblem, in the development of which Giuseppe Pattoni personally took part. The logo is a composition of the word “MOTO,” and five gears are depicted under it, each of which has a letter of the brand name and two flags of Italy at the beginning and end of the gear connection. The upper word “MOTO” is in Naftera Black Italic typeface by Graviton. This visual identity makes it easy to remember and creates an easy perception of the brand as a manufacturer of sports equipment.
Piaggio & C. SpA dates back to 1884. This year, Rinaldo Piaggio founded an industrial enterprise that produced ships, aircraft, various equipment. At the end of World War II, Enrico Piaggio reoriented production to light motorcycles. Since 1946, Vespa scooters have become well known. The death of Enrico Piaggio in 1965 led to the company’s transfer to the Agnelli family, which owned the Fiat concern. By the end of the 60s of the last century, the company became the owner of the Gilera brand, which expanded Piaggio’s offer with new models. Financial turmoil led to the transfer of the brand from hand to hand from 1999 to 2003 when new owner Roberto Colaninno breathed new life into it.
The Piaggio logo had a heraldic focus typical for Italian brands of the late 19th century. The main symbol of the emblem was a rectangular shield. The simplicity and conciseness of the image made the logo especially memorable. The interior of the shield was divided diagonally in two colors – bright blue at the top and turquoise at the bottom. The letter “P” is inscribed in the space of the upper half. Along the very bottom edge of the second part of the emblem, the brand name is applied – Piaggio. The purity of colors and the absence of bright and varied shades provided the emblem with an aristocratic look and visual perception.
SV.VM has been an Italian motorcycle manufacturer since 1971. The abbreviation stands for Sironi Vergani Vimercate Milano, including the founders’ names – Piero Sironi and Fausto Vergani from Milan. Today the company’s products are represented by the world-famous line of models for Observed Trials, Enduro, Motocross, and off-road. The brand got its second life in 2014 when Apelio Machchi and Daxing Gong joined forces to revive the brand. Apelio Machchi was CTO for Cagiva, Aprilia, Husqvarna. Daxing Gong is the head of the Shineray Group.
The SWM logo is simple and concise. The mark is a horizontal ellipse. In the center of the oval, there is an inscription of the brand abbreviation – SWM. Contest MN font by Mecanorma Collection. The combination of red and white on the emblem adds grandeur, symbolizing the dedication, solidity, and fulfillment of the brand’s hopes.
Italian motorcycle brand Santamaria was founded in 1951 in Novi Ligure. For 12 years – before its closure in 1963, the company released several model lines of motorcycles. The most famous was the 1957 Grand Sport, the 1958 Tigrotto 50cc Minarelli Moped, and the 1962 Franco Morini 50cc Sport. Several models developed by the brand are known under the Zundapp trademark. Officially, the company’s products entered the markets of Portugal, the Netherlands, and South Africa.
The Santamaria logo is wheel-shaped. The outer part is made in the form of a woven laurel wreath. The name of the founding city Novi Ligure is located along the field of the circle in the lower part. In the upper part, the direction of production is MOTO. The center of the sign to the edge of the wreath is occupied by a ribbon, where, repeating the bends of the ribbon, the brand name is applied – Santamaria.
46 Terra Modena
Terra Modena Mechatronic Srl is the youngest company in the history of the Italian motorcycle industry. The company was founded in 2015 by Dario Calzavara in the Italian city of the same name Modena. The main focus of the brand was the development of EIPS – electric navigation systems for seafaring. An additional product of the company is the sports motorcycle Terra Modena 198. The bike was developed between 2005-2007 by HPE of Piero Ferrari. In bridge construction, the brand has not yet added new products, but this model has continued to be modified, improving its characteristics.
The brand chose a black circle against a dark gray field as its logo. The emblem seems to be a stylized image of a planet in dark outer space. This rather gloomy duo dilutes the light yellow color of the company name. The word Terra is located at the top of the emblem in the center. The word – Modena is located at the bottom. Arial Nova Bold font was used for the lettering. The black and yellow colors of the logo shape the brand’s perception as a guarantee of reliability, safety, stability, and unexpected, innovative solutions.
Vespa is originally the name of Piaggio’s first scooter model from 1946. The great demand for the model led to their production and the beginning of serial production. To develop this direction, Piaggio created a subsidiary called Vespa. Massive interest from Hollywood stars has led to a multi-fold increase in scooter sales. In 1952, the Vespa Club was created, the number of members worldwide exceeding 50,000. Companies around the world have acquired Vespa production licenses. The brand’s prosperity faded towards 1992. In 2003, Roberto Colaninno invested in a faded company, inviting Rocco Sabelli to redesign the plant. This made it possible to produce scooters on an assembly line of any type.
The Vespa logo was a replica of the name, once drawn by Enrico Piaggio, the owner of the combined corporation. The text was positioned along a straight line directed from bottom to top. The handwritten typeface of the name demonstrated the exclusivity and originality of the company’s products. At the same time, with the help of this visualization technology, the brand emphasized reliability, evoking consumer confidence. The diagonal arrangement of the text evokes associations with the speed advantages of the product and its confident swiftness.
The Italian motorcycle brand Vyrus is characterized not by the mass production of its products but by unique exclusive developments. The brand is based in Coriano. Founded in 1985 as a motorcycle upgrade design company, the company merged with Bimota. The merger made it possible to realize independent individual projects for which Massimo Tamburini was rich in imagination. In its developments, the company focuses on improving the characteristics of motorcycles and creating exotic and individual designs. Since 2003, the brand has entered the European market.
Like all Vyrus products, its visual identity is based on exoticism. The brand name in the logo is formed by a sign that is made in the style of ancient runes. The main element is the letter of the Greek alphabet Ѱ – psi, under which the brand name is located. The sign has a deep sacred meaning. Ѱ symbolizes the three main components of the strength of the soul – mind, feelings, and will. This characteristic very accurately reflects the principles of the company’s activity – the creation of unique and exotic products. The contrast of the composition provides a clear visual perception. The color scheme harmonizes all logo elements while simultaneously symbolizing the elegance and sexuality of every Vyrus product.