FC Leicester is a famous football club from England, founded in 1884. It should be mentioned that then the team was called Leicester Fosse, and the command structure was represented by the most ordinary guys, who were students in one school. The football club received its first name from a street near the football field.
Lester Fosse existed for quite a long time, and only in 1919, it was decided to rename the club to FC Leicester City. At that time, the club managed to make its mark in the 1st and 2nd divisions of the League. Along with the club’s renaming, the county of Leicestershire became Leicester.
It is worth noting that the team’s second name (Foxes) is related to the county. The most devoted fans call their favorites “Foxes”. This nickname has a long history. In the 19th century, the county was known to many people for organizing fox hunting, which were often met there. This symbol is reflected in the Leicester City logo.
Leicester City logo history
Since 1946, the club has a coat of arms with an image of a fox neb. Despite the fact that the logo has undergone some changes in the following years, this image has not been significantly changed. This graceful animal is the real pride for devoted fans.
The logo has been changed for several times. First, there was an animal’s profile resembling a dog surrounded by golf clubs. In the eighties, the emblem was represented by the silhouette of a running fox. Probably it was the most important sign that differentiated the emblem from other club’s logo versions.
In 1992, with the development of graphics, the world was presented with a modern round Leicester City emblem. The club took the Potentilla plant (not a lotus or a water lily, as some sources point out), a five-pointed white flower that is visible against the background of the fox’s head. It is known as one of the symbols of the county of Leicestershire.
This animal was exterminated on hunting in this county for centuries, and that is why it was decided to “compensate” for the foxes, making them a symbol of the club. The symbol of the fox on the Leicester City logo returned to the classic version of a cunning yellow muzzle that has been represented there up to this day. Since then, the emblem has undergone only minor changes (for example, the writing of the letters) and almost has not been corrected since 1992.
It is worth mentioning that Lester traditionally remains true to blue-and-white club colors, for which it has received one more nickname “Blue Army”.
All Leicester City logos feature a fox – a symbol of the county of Leicestershire and the city of Leicester. The blue and white design matches the club colors that were adopted in the 1948-1949 season. The prototype of the modern emblem appeared in 1992. Since then, its style has not changed: the latest version differs only in color design.
1946 – 1950
The team’s earliest logo is dedicated to the revival of British football after World War II. It has the traditional form of a coat of arms. Around the perimeter is surrounded by a wide dark blue line. Inside, on a white background, the letters “L,” “C,” “F,” “C,” stand out in contrast – short for Leicester City Football Club. In the center is a red fox head.
1950 – 1972
In the early 50s, the emblem became more complex. The pointed shield is decorated with a triple outline, on which the full name of the club is written. Above are the abbreviations “L. C.” and “F. C.” Font – rounded grotesque. In the middle is a fox profile. It is made in white and gold. Two hunting loops are crossed behind the head – a tribute to British hunting traditions.
1972 – 1983
In 1972, the logo returned to minimalism. The heraldic shield was replaced by a white circle with a blue border. The letters indicating the abbreviated name of the team have disappeared. All that remains is the inscription “Leicester City Football Club.” The style of drawing has changed: the animal’s head is depicted in more detail. The hunting loops in the background turned yellow.
1983 – 1992
In the 1980s, the emblem changed radically. The central place is occupied by the silhouette of a crouching fox, which comes out of the circle. Smooth blue lines form the figure of the animal. The background is white.
1992 – 2002
At the end of the 20th century, a Leicester City logo appeared with modern graphics. In design, it is similar to the 1972 version; only the fox head is depicted not in profile, but the full view. In the background is a white flower with five petals. This cinquefoil is a symbol borrowed from the coat of arms of the city of Leicester.
2002 – 2009
Thanks to the changing contours, the fox looks more realistic. Colors have become saturated. The inscription “Leicester City Football Club” is enlarged and shifted closer to the center.
2009 – 2010
In the year of the 125th anniversary, the club introduced an anniversary emblem. It is similar to the previous logo, but with a different color scheme. Instead of orange, gray-gold is used. The ears and bottom of the fox head are white. The full name of the club is replaced by the inscription “Leicester City 1884 – 2009”. Under the circle is a blue ribbon with a stylized number “125” and the vertical word “Years.” The font is antique, with short serifs.
2010 – present
The current emblem is similar to the 2002 version. The only difference is the white elements on the fox’s face. They remained unchanged after the anniversary logo.