Virginia Tech Logo

Virginia Tech Logo
Virginia Tech Logo PNG

Virginia Tech is the abbreviated name of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, which is regionally split into several parts and located on different land plots. Its structure includes six educational institutions, one abroad, and a sports department. The main educational building is located in the city of Blacksburg, Virginia; the foreign one is in Riva San Vitale (Switzerland). The educational institution has several informal names: VT, VA Tech, or VPI. Its year of origin is 1872.

Meaning and History

Virginia Tech Logo History
Evolution of the Virginia Tech Logo

The career of this university began with the fact that the Virginia General Assembly, according to the Morrill Act of 1862, bought the building of the Preston and Olin Institute and the premises of the Methodist school for boys in Montgomery County located in Southwest Virginia. At the same time, several adjoining buildings on Solitude Farm were acquired. Thus was laid the foundation for the state-subsidized military institute and the Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College.

The first student enrolled in this institution was Addison Caldwell. He traveled more than 25 miles from his home in Craig County to register, leaving a permanent mark on the university’s history. A monument has been erected to him, and a forced march is named after him, traditionally held by first-year cadets every year. They complete the first half of the nearly 26-mile journey in the fall and the second half in the spring.

In 1891-1907, the curricula were revised, and a postgraduate department appeared. All this was the reason for raising the status of the school and renaming it to Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College (in 1896). The first part of the name was removed almost immediately. And in 1944, the educational institution officially became the Virginia Polytechnic Institute (VPI), outlining the priorities of the direction.

Virginia Tech Symbol

In 1921, the university accepted the first students who attended the day department without living in a hostel. In 1943, Radford State Teachers College, located in a neighboring town, became part of the VPI. The final merger was completed in 1964. Now, this educational institution is called Radford University and has the status of a research institution, where students receive joint education in 150 undergraduate and graduate programs.

Virginia Tech’s history is full of expansions, transitions, wars, and sad incidents. But no matter what, it remains the flagship of Virginia’s educational system. Its identity is common to all structures. This is the official seal, and three logos were adopted a little later.

Virginia Tech has several official emblems that have been modified from time to time. Their design has been simplified with each new variation.

1991 – 2006

Virginia Tech Logo 1991

The logo features a shield from the academic seal of the university. It is miniature, in the form of an icon, and is located in the second line of the university’s name, before the word “Tech.” The top row is occupied by the inscription “Virginia.” The shield depicts a suite of columns and indicates the year of the appearance of the VPI – “1872”. Under them is the expanded name of the higher educational institution. The font is incoherent, with serifs. Color – monochrome, black and white.

2006 – 2017

Virginia Tech Logo 2006

During the redesign, some elements were rearranged. For example, the university’s name occupies only one line, and in front of it is an icon in the form of a shield with an enfilade and a year of education. Under the phrase “Virginia Tech,” the developers placed the slogan “Invent the Future.” Everything related to the text remained black and white, while the icon received the signature burgundy-purple color.

2017 – today

Virginia Tech Logo

After a radical image change, the university approved an updated emblem. It shows the abbreviation “VT.” To add dynamics, the designers executed incoherent capital letters. They have a single line that starts at the top of the right leg, “V,” and ends on the left at the bottom of the cap “T.” Outline font, purple background. In the second half of the rectangle is the word “Virginia Tech” in orange-gold.

Seal

Virginia Tech Seal Logo

The original seal was approved in 1896. In shape, it resembles a standard rondel: an accent middle and stripes expanding towards the edge. A shield occupies the central part with a narrow lower half and a wide upper half. At the same time, it does not have curly protrusions or bends at the top – only a smooth edge. The shield is divided into four equal zones with images of corn cobs with leaves, a round flask on fire, a tripod with a scroll and a pointer, and a warrior enslaving the enemy. Two of them are painted in golden orange, two in burgundy purple. There is also a burning lamp on the shield – an allegory of light, education, and knowledge. Below it is an inscription in Latin “Ut prosim.” This is the motto of the university.

This is followed by several narrow lines, forming an alternation of burgundy-white-burgundy. Then there is a wideband painted in gold. It shows the full name – “Virginia Polytechnic Institute” and “and State University.” They are placed in the form of arches and separated by side points. Along the edge is a double edging, consisting of the branded palette of the university.

Virginia Tech Hokies Logo

Virginia Tech Hokies Logo History
Evolution of the Virginia Tech Hokies Logo

Neither early nor late logos directly echo the sports club’s mascot, the anthropomorphic HokieBird turkey. For the first time, Mercer MacPherson, an engineering student, took to the field of the Gobbler team in such a suit. This event took place in 1962 at a football game on Thanksgiving Day. And it was officially approved in 1981 when the branch was renamed Hokies.

1966 – 1971

Virginia Tech Hokies Logo 1966

The Virginia Tech Sports Club’s visual identity mark consists of two letters stacked one above the other. “V” large, red, with large rectangular serifs and cut off the bottom. “T,” on the contrary, is smaller in size and is at the top. She also has serifs, but they are miniature. The letters are drawn in straight lines with clear angles.

1971 – 1973

Virginia Tech Hokies Logo 1971

The emblem featured a red map of the state of Virginia with the word “Tech” written in orange against the background.

1974 – 1982

Virginia Tech Hokies Logo 1974

For this period, the management returned the old logo without changing a single element.

1983 – today

Virginia Tech Hokies Logo 1983

The current version consists of a stylized abbreviation with sharp ends and connected lines. It is identical in form to the modern academic badge of the university. The letter “V” is straight, stands on a sharp ledge, and the “T” is slightly inclined to the right. The filling of symbols is solid, maroon-violet. The frame is double, white, and golden.

Font and Colors of the Emblem

Virginia Tech Emblem

The identity of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Virginia Tech Hokies has something in common. First, they are united by a color palette. Secondly, they have the same shape as the latest logos. The abbreviation of sharp and slightly slanted sans-serif letters has become predominant in both the university-wide and sports emblems.

The designers used a typeface from the Acherus Grotesque family for the inscriptions. The university palette consists of two base colors (Chicago Maroon, Burnt Orange) and two additional colors (Yardline White, Hokie Stone).