Menu Close

Werder Bremen Logo

Werder Bremen Logo
Werder Bremen Logo PNG

Werder Bremen is a German sports club known for its super-successful football team. It was founded in 1899 by a group of students and named after the coastal field on which they played: the word “Werder” is translated from German as “river peninsula.” In 1909, the club began playing matches at the Weser-Stadion (then ATSB-Kampfbahn) and had never changed its home arena since. Despite this, the original nickname remained as a reminder of the team’s distant past.

Meaning and History

Werder Bremen Logo History
Evolution of the Werder Bremen Logo

At first, the club was called FuรŸballverein Werder, which was reflected in its official coat of arms. In this status, it existed until the 1920s, when it received the name Sportverein Werder Bremen and the corresponding emblem. A little later, the sports organization was disbanded. In the post-war period, she regained the name SV Werder, and with it – her diamond-shaped logo with the letter “W” in the middle. This symbol first appeared in 1929 and has gone through the team’s history as a talisman, inspiring players to win.

1900 – 1902

Werder Bremen Logo 1900-1902

The club adopted its debut emblem in 1900 when it bore the name FV Werder. It was a text sign in the form of a monogram, decorated with loops and spirals. It consisted of the letters “FVW,” which were practically unreadable.

1911 – 1924

Werder Bremen Logo 1911-1924

In 1911, the old logo was replaced by a figured heraldic shield. It was completely black, except for the green strip labeled “F. V. W. ” The line divided the shield into two halves: on top was the year the club was founded, and on the bottom was the name of the city. All inscriptions were diagonal.

1924 – 1929

Werder Bremen Logo 1924-1929

In the second half of the 1920s, the coat of arms became oval, green, and acquired a light outline. Simultaneously, the designers created a large white letter “W,” which in the future received the status of the cult symbol of SV Werder Bremen.

1929 – 1976

Werder Bremen Logo 1929-1976

Small metamorphoses took place: the oval turned into a rhombus with rounded corners, and the thin light line turned into a two-color edging consisting of three stripes. The “W” in the center of the geometric shape has become thinner, so it doesn’t take up much space.

1976 – 1977

Werder Bremen Logo 1976-1977

In the mid-1970s, the coat of arms of Bremen’s city was used as a logo, which was approved by Napoleon Bonaparte. The heraldic shield’s figured key is an attribute of one of the twelve apostles – Simon Petrus. To associate the state symbol with the football club, the designers placed the word “Werder” on the shield’s top.

1977 – 1981

Werder Bremen Logo 1977-1981

The team reverted to the diamond-shaped emblem with the white “W” used from 1929-1976.

1981 – 1994

Werder Bremen Logo 1981-1994

In 1981, the SV Werder Bremen logo was redesigned: the developers chose a different shade of green, made the “W” wide, and removed one white line from the shield frame.

1994 – 2005

Werder Bremen Logo 1994-2005

In 2005, there were several more changes. Now the club badge has the shape of a classic diamond with no cut corners. The letter “W” is slightly narrowed and stretched upwards, and its lateral lines are rounded.

2005 – present

Werder Bremen Logo 2005-present

A yellow five-pointed star appeared above the coat of arms, denoting the won Bundesliga titles.

Font and Colors of the Emblem

Werder Bremen Emblem

SV Werder Bremen achieved what he wanted with many different emblems: he found the unique style that made him recognizable. In 1929, the designers developed a graphic sign with a green diamond and a white letter “W” representing the team’s nickname. It went through a series of changes and disappeared briefly in the 1970s, replaced by the city’s coat of arms. But then the diamond-shaped logo returned: the leaders of the club realized that it was impossible to get rid of it so easily because it occupies a special place in the visual identification of Werder.

The only lettering on the emblem is the large white letter “W.” There is no question of any typeface: the designers created it from scratch, and they drew it by hand. It looks like a complex geometric shape with three corners in the middle and rounded ends.

Since 1981, the logo has been painted in two colors: white (#FFFFFF) and Sea Green (# 1D9053). Before this, other shades of green were used. Until 1924, the palette was based on black, combined with other colors – for example, with the same green or white.