Everton, founded in 1878 near the St. Domingo Church, was named after this place. The reason for the football team’s creation was that the parishioners actively played cricket in summer, but in wintertime, they preferred football. Soon the team was filled with players who were not related to the church of St. Domingo, and in November 1979, the club was renamed as Everton in honor of the area of Liverpool.
The Everton club has one of the most extraordinary nicknames in England created by fans who often called the team “Toffees.” According to one version, it appeared because in the days of matches, when Everton was playing, Mother Noblet was selling menthol sweets with the name of the club depicted on it. Now it has become a tradition. Another version says that the nickname came from the Everton Toffee House confectionery, located near Goodison Park (the stadium).
The second byname of the club is “Blackbird,” which appeared due to the color of the spare form. Also, it is associated with another nickname “Blue,” the main club color. The nickname “People’s club” is the “merit” of the former head coach David Moyes, who named Everton like this at the press conference dedicated to his assignment to the position.
Fans of Liverpool, the main opponents of Everton, gave the Toffees an offensive byname “Bitters.” According to the club’s achievements, Everton is weaker than Liverpool. Also, the word bitters is a kind of antonym to the main nickname Toffees.
Meaning and History
The first official Everton logo was introduced in 1920. It consisted of interwoven EFC letters in white color, which were located on top of the shield with a blue background.
At the end of the 1937/38 season, Everton’s secretary Theo Kelly, who later became the head coach of the club, decided to design a new club logo. In Everton, the district of Liverpool, you won’t find a building older than the Prince Rupert’s Tower, built in the late eighteenth century. Therefore, designers decided to put this image on the club’s emblem. Near this, they added two laurel wreaths, enclosed in a shield, symbolizing victory. Under the shield, there was an inscription in Latin “Nil Satis Nisi Optimum,” which means “Only the best is good enough.” For the first time, Everton’s logo was demonstrated in 1939. Later, in 1978, it appeared on the T-shirts of the players (before the form had EFC abbreviation). The emblem has reached the present time with minimum changes.
In 1982, a simplified circular version of the emblem without a shield was officially introduced. The Prince Rupert’s Tower and laurel wreaths were enclosed in a circle. This logo lasted one season.
The new logo that appeared in 1983 lost its circular outline and had towers and wreaths slightly changed. The EFC abbreviation was added.
In 1991, the club returned to the Everton logo’s old design, created by Theo Kelly in 1939. With this variant of the emblem, Everton had been performing until 2000.
In 2000, following the contemporary design trends, the club did not radically change its favorite club logo but recreated it in blue color. Also, designers added the year of the club foundation – 1878, dividing it into two parts and placing them on both sides of the shield. Also, the inscription “Everton” appeared under the motto of the club. This version of the emblem had remained until 2013.
May 25, 2013, Everton announced the change of logo, but in two days, more than 14 thousand fans signed an online petition asking the leadership not to touch the emblem. The new logo lacks the club’s motto, which had been represented there since 1938, as well as a pair of wreaths, the long-standing symbol of Everton. The leadership of the club gave credence to their fans and, in several days, announced that this emblem would be used only for one season. The reason for such a decision is that the new version had already been put into production.
Therefore, in 2014, the management kept a promise and changed the emblem to a new-old design. The name of the club and the year of its foundation were moved to the middle of the shield, under the tower. The emblem was made in a two-color version (blue and white). It looks quite stylish and attractive.
In the history of Everton, there were 11 logos. Modern club symbols appeared in 2014. The emblem is close to the original version of 1938. The original version was reworked several times but has survived to this day with virtually no change.
The debut emblem was presented in 1920. The logo depicts a blue coat of arms with a double contour. In the center is a white monogram of stylized letters EFC. This is an abbreviation for the full name of the team – Everton Football Club.
At the end of the 1937/1938 season, club secretary Theo Kelly designed the logo to decorate the ties worn by Everton employees. It took four months to create the design. The main motive was the rounded Prince Rupert’s Tower, which once housed criminals and drunkards. Next to it are two laurel wreaths – symbols of victory.
The central elements are enclosed in a shield. The name of the company is written in Gothic type: “Everton Football Club Co., Ltd.” Below – the motto “Nil Satis Nisi Optimum” in Latin.
1972 – 1976
In 1972, the team first used a simplified logo, consisting of the abbreviation EFC on a white background. The letters are blue, made in a cursive handwritten font.
1976 – 1978
In 1976, a new version of the three-letter logo appeared. The inscription is made in square sans serif font.
1978 – 1982
Designers returned the 1938 logo, changing the style of drawing. A blue shield with a tower and two laurel wreaths is in the center of the circle. Above it is the name of the club “Everton F. C.,” below it is the abbreviation EFC and the Latin motto “Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.” For wreaths and the outline of the shield, green is used.
1982 – 1983
In 1982, a variant of the emblem appeared without a shield and a motto. The main elements remained: Prince Rupert’s Tower, wreaths, and the inscription “Everton.” They are colored yellow and stand out against the background of a blue circle with a white outline.
1983 – 1991
Designers simplified the previous logo by sketching a tower and wreaths. There is no circle; half of the space is occupied by the letters EFC.
1991 – 2000
In the 1990s, the original emblem was recreated, which appeared in 1938. The name of the club was removed. The style of drawing the logo has changed slightly. The white ribbon turned blue.
2000 – 2013
In 2000, designers updated the color scheme by adding yellow outlines and a blue gradient. The numbers “18” and “78” are displayed on the shield’s sides, indicating the year the team was founded. At the very bottom – the inscription “Everton.”
2013 – 2014
In 2013, a redesign was carried out. A version of the logo appeared without a motto and laurel wreaths, but the fans did not like it. An online petition proposing to cancel the innovations has collected 22,000 signatures. As a result, the modified emblem used only one season.
2014 – present
On October 3, 2014, Everton introduced a choice of 3 logos. 80% of registered club members took part in the vote. The winner was the version with cult wreaths, a tower, a shield, a motto, and the inscription “Everton 1878”. The design is dominated by blue.