The club was founded by the teacher James Allan in 1879. There was an appropriate title, “Teachers of Sunderland and the surrounding area.”
The monument of Penshaw as an element of the Sunderland logo expresses the support of fellow countrymen far beyond the city limits. This monument is dedicated to the British John Lambton, who became the first Governor-General of United Canada in 1838. Penshaw, the name of the area, is translated as “wooded hill.” According to a legend, once upon a time, there lived a huge worm that devoured not only cattle but also people as long as the crusader, called John Lambton, did not cope with the dangerous creature.
Meaning and History
The football club borrowed lions from the city emblem of Sunderland. However, the team nickname is different – black cats. This was the name of the artillery battery, located in the local area at the beginning of the XIX century. The club nickname was fixed in 1937 when 12-year-old fan Billy Morris brought a black kitten in his pocket at the FA Cup final with Preston. Then Sunderland won – 3: 1.
The wheel depicted on the Sunderland logo is a tribute to the miner’s traditions of the city. The club “Stadium of Light” was built just when one of the largest coal mining enterprises in the region was located until 1993.
The phrase “Consectatio Excellentiae” on the Sunderland logo means “striving for excellence.”
The Wearmouth Bridge is located in the right lower corner of the logo shield, connects the north and south of the 175-thousandth Sunderland. It was opened in 1929 by the Duke of York, the future King George VI.
The Sunderland AFC club, founded in 1879, got its debut logo only in 1905. The logo depicted a black cat because the team at that time was nicknamed Black Cats. Originally called the 1800s artillery gun located on the River Wear coast. However, after a few years, the players abandoned this symbol.
1913 – 1937
The emblem is made in heraldic style. The main elements of the emblem: a white shield, feathers, leaves, a globe, a knight’s helmet, and a ribbon with the motto “Nil Desperandum Auspice Deo,” which is borrowed from the city coat of arms.
1937 – 1966
In 1937, the team changed the logo design. Now the shield is blue, surrounded by two lines: red and white. Below is the inscription “1936-37.”
1966 – 1973
For seven years, the club has used an emblem with the letters “S” (top) and “AFC” (bottom). This is an abbreviation for the full name of the Sunderland Association Football Club. Color – scarlet on white. The font is grotesque, sans serif.
1973 – 1977
The abbreviation “SAFC” on the logo is written diagonally. Black letters stand out against a red rectangle.
1977 – 1991
In the late 1970s, designers updated the logo. The quadrangular shield with a sharp base and a black outline is divided into two parts. A boat is painted on blue background above because Sunderland is a port city. Below is a ball with the inscription “A F C.” Behind him are red and white stripes taken from the team’s home uniform.
1991 – 1997
In 1991, the top of the shield was repainted in black. The general concept remained unchanged.
1997 – present
In 1997, the club marked the move to the Stadium of Light with a new emblem. In the center is a shield divided into four parts. The lower right corner is the famous Wearmouth Bridge, which connects the south and north of the city. On the left is the Penshaw monument. On the sides are two black lions, as on the emblem of Sunderland. At the bottom of the tape is the full name of the team.
Above the shield is the motto “Consectatio Excellentiae” (“Pursuit of Excellence”). There is also a crushing wheel, symbolizing the dungeon. This is a tribute to the Durham County coal industry and a reminder that the Stadium of Light was built on the old Monkwearmouth coal mine site.