Triumph is a legendary motorcycle manufacturer. An immigrant founded the company from Germany who moved to the UK in 1880 to sell imported bicycles and sewing machines. Seven years later, he opened Bettmann & Co and began manufacturing two-wheeled vehicles under his Triumph brand. The attempt to switch to cars fell during the “Great Depression,” so the plant remained a motorcycle plant.
Meaning and History
The debut motorcycle with the Triumph emblem appeared in 1902. Before that, the brand name adorned only bicycles that were introduced to the English market in 1887. During the 20th century, not only vehicle models changed, but also the manufacturer’s logo.
It often happened that some series were marked with one symbol, and the second – with a completely different one because the company paid as much attention to design as to the technical component. This means that you can only roughly determine the years of existence of a particular Triumph sign.
1902 – 1906
The first emblem, which appeared on a motorcycle in 1902, has been in use since 1887 but adorn Triumph Cycle Co. bicycles. It was an exquisite coat of arms with a crown and six flags. COVENTRY indicated the location of the company.
1907 – 1914
The rise in exports has led designers to replace the shield with the words “America, Europe, and Australia.” Simultaneously, the name of the company in a stylized font began to appear on the fuel tanks more and more often.
1915 – 1922
In 1914 the slogan disappeared. Its place was taken by the bold italic inscription “MOTORS,” which, together with “TRIUMPH,” was placed inside a black horizontal ellipse.
1923 – 1931
In the 1920s, the designers have brought back the classic shield, adding new colors to it. The center area is blue, the frame is dark gold, and a red inverted triangle appears at the bottom.
1932 – 1933
Triumph’s success in overseas markets led to the company’s massive rebranding in 1929. This is how a whole series of emblems with the image of the globe appeared. Various modifications adorned the fuel tanks of motorcycles until 1933. Some versions were supplemented with the slogan “Triumph All Over The World.”
1934 – 1936
In 1934, the Val Page range was developed with a new logo in the word “TRIUMPH.” The font looked unusual thanks to the curved line that connected the letters “R” and “H.” The sweeping-R trademark appeared much earlier – back in 1914, but then it was only on booklets, banners, and posters. It began to be applied to motorcycles in 1931, although the style was slightly different from the first version. The Val Page models used a thin font version.
1936 – 1990
In 1936, the company released a series of motorcycles that were developed by Edward Turner. Their logo was as close as possible to the original presented in 1914 on the advertising booklet’s cover. It differed from the previous version in clearer outlined letters. After Meriden died in 1983, this mark became the basis for Triumph’s corporate identity.
1990 – 2004
The motorcycles from John Bloor, which debuted in 1990, have been adorned with an updated emblem. It was distinguished from the classic version by its blue color, acute-angled serifs, and a modified shape of the line going from “R” to “H.”
2005 – 2012
In 2005, serifs and outlines disappeared, and the elongated “R” stem became even thinner. The blue has acquired a cobalt hue. In 2011, the Daytona 675, Street Triple, and Speed Triple introduced the logo with black lettering on a white background.
2013 – present
The final version of the trademark appeared in 2013. It was developed by studio Wolff Olins in collaboration with Rick Banks, who changed the font, adding rounded corners and reducing the height of the letter “T.”
Font and Colors of the Emblem
In 2013, the brand introduced an inverted triangle emblem with the words “TRIUMPH” and the Union Jack flag’s fragments. It is based on original engine markings from the 1930s.
The latest logo update made the font look more symmetrical. There are no serifs; the corners are rounded, the right leg “R” extends to the “H.” The palette is dominated by black, and white is used as an additional one.