Menu Close

Carolina Panthers Logo

Carolina Panthers logo
Carolina Panthers logo PNG

The Carolina Panthers are a professional football team located in Charlotte, North Carolina. The franchise was founded by Jerry Richardson, who in 1987 announced a bid for establishing a new NFL team in Carolina and paid a $ 206-million entry fee. In 1993, the Carolina Panthers became the 29th franchise of the league; in 1995, they joined the National Football League.

When pondering about the team name, Jerry Richardson neither organized focus groups nor held name-the-team contests. The name was chosen by his son Mark, the current president of the club. He single-handedly approved โ€œPanthersโ€ โ€“ a word to symbolize courage, strength, and grace. Jerry Richardson welcomed this idea and even changed the license plate number to PNTHRS in 1989.

Carolina Panthers emblem

By the time the Carolina Panthers were announced as the 29th NFL team, they had already had a brand identity. However, the representatives of the NFL Properties much criticized the black, blue, and silver color scheme selected by Mark. They considered that a club called Panthers with black team symbols could attract the attention of street gangs, which would certainly ruin franchise reputation.

Carolina Panthers symbol

Since the first efforts to founding the Carolina Panthers in the late 1980s, Jerry Richardson has been the face of the teamโ€™s ownership group, but heโ€™s not the only partner. In fact, from 1993 to 2018, the franchise was 48% owned by the Richardson family, while the remaining 52% was distributed among 14 investors who also financed the right to start the team. In 2018, the billionaire businessman David Tepper became the sole owner of the team. On May 22, 2018, he purchased the franchise for $2.3 billion, definitely a record.

Meaning and History

Carolina Panthers Logo History
Carolina Panthers Logo Evolution

The Carolina Panthers unveiled their first logo in 1995 after joining the NFL. Since then, it was changed only once, as the team owner Jerry Richardson was a great traditionalist, confronting any innovations. According to the designers, a black panther is a focal point of the logo. But from the zoological point of view, it is a black jaguar or leopard, because there are no such felid species as a black panther. The official mascot of the Carolina Panthers is Sir Purr, an anthropomorphized black panther wearing a team uniform, โ„–00.

1995 – 2011

Carolina Panthers Logo 1995-2011

The first logo was designed in 1995 and continued until 2011. It was an image of a black pantherโ€™s head in half-face with blue and white outlines. The team representatives said the logo depicted the merged borders of North and South Carolina. The beast had flat ears, lowered eyebrows, and a wide-open mouth with sharp fangs. The pantherโ€™s face wore an intimidating facial expression to symbolize the teamโ€™s readiness to win.

The sketched-in-black head had silver face features. The inner silhouette was blue. Silver strokes on a dark background made the image more dynamic, much reminding the popular visual styles of the 1990s. The logo looked two-dimensional due to the identical thickness of the lines. Only the whiskers on the right went beyond it.

2012 – present

Carolina Panthers Logo 2012-Present

In 2012, the Panthers marketing team upgraded the old logo. Since the Panthers have one of the most recognizable logos in the NFL, they tended to make it as modern as possible without losing the dramatic essence of the mark. The designers modified the logo to digital space, optimizing it for the web.

It is the same logo except for the slightly different shape and color of the eyes and mouth. Designers removed tiny details and lower borders and made outlines smooth. The external black outline is gone as well. The blue lines appear intermittent and curved. Eyebrow arches are changed, as the panther acquires a more threatening appearance. The logo reflects the teamโ€™s determination to hunt its strongest rivals, as this wild feline predator does in nature. It signifies the Carolina Panthers players do not play defense, but offense.

The whiskers, nose, and brows change color from silver to blue. Teeth and eyes remain silver. Now the logo comprises aquamarine instead of royal blue. The updated color palette and sketching make the current version of the logo look 3D and modern, yet it keeps the old concept.