ESPN Logo

ESPN LogoESPN Logo PNG

The characteristics of the American sports broadcasting brand are reflected in the ESPN logo and its entire visualization. The right tilt symbolizes constant motion, while the red color represents the energy, passion, and aggression characteristic of all types of sports competitions.

ESPN: Brand overview

Founded:1979
Founder:Bill Rasmussen, Scott Rasmussen
Headquarters:
Bristol, Connecticut
Website:espn.com
ESPN is the largest American media group. It owns various types of sports broadcasting: satellite television, cable channels, radio network, and a website. It is located in Bristol, Connecticut, and was founded in July 1978 by Scott and Bill Rasmussen. Disney Media Networks now owns it.

Meaning and History

ESPN Logo History

The company has only had two logos throughout its existence: the debut and the current one. They differ significantly from each other, as designers changed both graphic and textual elements.

What is ESPN?

It is an American television network specializing in sports. ESPN stands for Entertainment and Sports Programming Network.

1979 – 1985

ESPN Logo 1979-1985

The first emblem was released on July 14, 1978. A year later, it became a full-fledged attribute of television programs. This happened on September 7, 1979. The initial version was a simple inscription, “ESPN.” The logo design is minimalist: red letters on a white background, surrounded by a wide orange oval.

1985 – today

ESPN Logo 1985-present

The current version has been used since 1985. It is executed in the Stop font, which was developed in 1971 by designer Aldo Novarese. The authors reimagined the brand name, not taking anything from the previous version. The font was enlarged and slightly tilted to the right. The red letters were crossed by a wide white line, passing at the level of the upper bend of “S” and the inner letter space of “P.” This allowed for a completely new concept.

Font and Colors

ESPN Emblem

Both branding versions are based on the abbreviation Entertainment and Sports Programming Network. Moreover, both the first and second logos emphasize simplicity.

The current version contains an improved font similar to a graphic sign. It is characterized by modernity and dynamism, which is conveyed in the line crossing the word.

ESPN Symbol

The color palette consists of a combination of red and white. The former is close to crimson and has an intense shade. Its task is to focus the audience’s attention on strength, passion, and brightness and maintain intensity at the peak of emotions. White, on the contrary, symbolizes purity and perfection.

In the print version, black is also used – light letters on a dark background. There is another version of the emblem, where the phrase “The total sports network” is placed under the name. It is written in uppercase.

ESPN color codes

RedHex color:#e52534
RGB:229 37 52
CMYK:0 84 77 10
Pantone:PMS 185 C

FAQ

What does the ESPN logo mean?

The ESPN logo is tilted to the right, giving it a sense of movement. The dynamic effect is enhanced by the white horizontal line drawn across all the letters at the top. The red color symbolizes energy, passion, and aggression.

Who owns ESPN?

ESPN is divided between two owners. 20% of the shares belong to the transnational conglomerate Hearst Communications, Inc., and the remaining 80% to the media group The Walt Disney Company.

Who founded ESPN?

ESPN was founded by ophthalmologist Ed Egan, sociologist Scott William Rasmussen, and his father, William F. Rasmussen. They secured support from Bob Bays and jointly created the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network.

When was ESPN founded?

In 1978, the new brand Entertainment and Sports Programming Network was registered. The sports channel ESPN debuted on September 7, 1979.

Video