PG&E is American electricity and natural gas supplier, serving most of California’s 5.2 million households. It is recognized as the leading subsidiary of the PG&E Corporation of the same name and is under the California Public Utilities Commission’s control. The service is also one of six regulated entities owned by investors in the IOU utilities. The full name of the organization stands for Pacific Gas & Electric Company. It was founded by entrepreneur George H. Roe after Gold Rush and has been on the market since 1905. The head office is located in San Francisco, California, in the eponymous high-rise building.
Meaning and History
In the 1850s, industrial gas was used as a source of street lighting in the United States. The main gas factories were concentrated in the eastern part of America, but none existed in the western part. This industry did not exist there. San Francisco’s largest street was lit with oil lamps. Then the three Donahue brothers (Peter, James, and Michael) expressed interest in gas production and supply. They were later joined by Joseph G. Eastland, the engineer at the Union Iron Works foundry. Its tasks included the complete collection of information on gas technology.
In 1852, Michael Donahue applied to the Common Council of the City of San Francisco to build a gas plant and pipe. After the decision was approved, the brothers and the engineer immediately registered the San Francisco Gas company, which received a registered capital of $ 150,000. It became the first gas venture on the west coast. Its official seal bore the slogan “Fiat Lux” – the slogan of the University of California.
In its first year of operation, the new firm had only 237 clients. But after 12 months, their number has doubled, and so on year after year. Gradually, the organization moved into a phase of active work on developing a monopoly in the west. Therefore, she began to absorb competitors. As a result, in the spring of 1873, a new representative of the gas market appeared – the San Francisco Gas Light Company. It results from the merger of the San Francisco Gas Company with two specialized firms – City Gas Company and Metropolitan Gas Company.
In 1896, the newly formed structure merged with the electricity supplier Edison Light and Power Company. The move brought a solution to both companies’ problems, eliminated competition, provided savings, and spurred the San Francisco Gas and Electric Company into being. All this time, the management did not seriously think about its own identity – it was focused on staying afloat and gaining a monopoly. Therefore, the company has only one logo.
The emblem was introduced in 1905 simultaneously with the gas and electricity supplier’s official registration in the region. According to experts, it still has not changed and is used in its original form, representing a vertical rectangle of light blue color.
At the bottom of the logo is the abbreviation for San Francisco Gas and Electric. Uppercase “P,” “G,” and “E” are drawn out and painted white. The logogram of the union “and” (&) separating them has a yellow color of the warm spectrum and is placed in an upward pointed triangle. The letters do not have a bottom border, so it seems as if they merge with the surrounding space.
Font and Colors of the Emblem
During the entire existence of the holding, it had only one logo. It was approved during the official formation of the company and is the result of many mergers. In style, it is a simple sign with a short name for a gas and electricity supplier. The background of the abbreviation is a vertical rectangle. The ampersand has its bottom cut off, so it looks like a lamp. A sharp white triangle goes up from it.
A typeface from the Sans Serif family is used in the smooth, grotesque, elongated, bold. All letters are in uppercase. The emblem palette is symbolic and denotes natural gas (fuel blue, shade # 0e8ac6) and electricity (warm yellow # fdb90b). White is neutral and introduced for contrast.