Wawa Logo

Wawa LogoWawa Logo PNG

Wawa is a U.S. retail chain of convenience stores and gas stations that serves the East Coast. In 2008, it was recognized as the largest retail system within walking distance of home. The basic assortment of stores is related to various foods: salads, dairy products, snacks, beverages, ready meals (lunch and dinner), deli meats, french fries, and several kinds of coffee. It also offers car refills. The main company came into existence in 1890, the repurposed one in 1964. The headquarters are located in Chester Heights, Pennsylvania.

Meaning and History

Wawa Logo History

The Wood family originally owned this firm. But in the early years, it was engaged in the steel industry (from 1803 to 1890). After moving from New Jersey to Delaware County, Pennsylvania changed to milk production, creating its farm and factory. George Wood started the business. A born marketer, he successfully promoted the business by offering hygienic and safe specially treated milk. He gained his place on the dairy products market with home delivery.

Later the entrepreneur refocused the business and opened his stores, gradually forming small outlets in places far from supermarkets. In 1964 Grahame Wood greatly expanded the family business. In 1977, partners were added to the chain’s management, dividing profits on a distribution basis. In 1996, the mini-mart chain combined food outlets with gasoline dispensers. In 2010, it began filling vehicles with diesel fuel.

During the entire existence of stores, their entrance was decorated with only one logo, later proposed in a modern interpretation. The fact that the company’s name comes from the city in which the first dairy and its headquarters appeared – Wawa, Pennsylvania. And it, in turn, is named after Ojibwe, the Canada goose. The Wawa is mentioned in Longfellow’s book The Song of Hiawatha (in part two, The Four Winds). So the image of a goose flying high became the corporate emblem as a symbol of the area where the company originated.

1990 – 2004

Wawa Logo 1990

The logo shows the legendary goose associated with the city where Wawa dairy first appeared. The goose is depicted in flight. His neck, torso, and tail are extended in one line, which indicates his determination and persistence. The bird’s wings are up as it flaps, and its head is outside the background circle. The goose is positioned above the three letters, “awa.” The top of the first “W” is flush with the bird’s body. Below is a small serif font that is written “Inc.”. The circle consists of three zones separated by color – several shades of gray.

2004 – today

Wawa Logo

As a result of expanding the range of goods and services, the retail chain received an updated logo. It is more colorful than the previous one: it has no grey monotony. The letters are bright red now; the goose is yellow. And the designers slightly changed its location in the picture, placing it diagonally as if it soars in height. They also changed the font: classic serif letters were replaced by modern symbols with smooth sans serif lines.

Font and Colors of the Emblem

Wawa Emblem

The chain of Wawa stores and service stations has the same logo. It is just presented in two modifications – early and current. The revisions mostly concerned the mood of the logo, but not its key elements, which include the eponymous goose and the brand’s name. The big bird was depicted seated, multicolored, with luxuriant plumage in the earliest emblems.

Wawa Symbol

Early logos (late 19th and early 20th centuries) contained two types of lettering – printed and handwritten italic type. In the current interpretation, the inscription on the emblem is in a font reminiscent of Gotham Bold. Then came the individual version, which refers to the drawn letters. The brand’s signature palette consists of three shades of red, yellow, black, and gray.