Mopar Logo

Mopar LogoMopar Logo PNG

In 2017, Mopar celebrated its 80th anniversary. It appeared in the late 1930s as part of the Chrysler Corporation and then joined Stellantis North America. The Dutch automaker, which owns the division, does not hinder its development. After all, Mopar works as an OEM; that is, it produces parts for all brands of Stellantis. However, its main specialization remains the manufacture of accessories for Chrysler.

Meaning and History

Mopar Logo History

It all started when Chrysler Motor Parts Corporation introduced antifreeze to the market and began selling it under the brand name MoPar (from MOtor PARts). Over time, the brand expanded. It moved to a full range of parts, not only for cars but also for trucks. And car enthusiasts, in general, used the term Mopar to refer to all Chrysler vehicles – from Dodge to Jeep.

But the division doesn’t make its cars: it doesn’t even have personal assembly lines. There are only 13 stores that work directly in the factories so that customers can order the necessary parts to be installed when buying a car. Nevertheless, the company has put several cars on the market under its brand name – a typical example of factory tuning.

By the distinctive logo, the brand can be recognized by the letter “M,” stylized as the symbol of Omega. It appeared only in 1964, and before that, the manufacturer used text signs with a different design.

1933 – 1936

Mopar Logo 1933

In 1929 the first plants of Motor Parts started working. Until 1937, they made antifreeze, which had no trade name. Its logo consisted of a dark ring with a monogram placed inside. The letters “D,” “C,” “P,” “D” represented the main series of Chrysler Corporation cars: DeSoto, Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge.

1937 – 1947

Mopar Logo 1937

Nelson Farley, who headed Motor Parts, opened a marketing department. His specialists have come up with a separate name for the antifreeze brand – MoPar. The brand sign was changed accordingly. It looked like a label with lots of text. In the middle, inside a yellow ellipse, was a red arched word “MOPAR.” The letters “O” and “AR” had a superscript underline. Burke Bartlett created this design. At the bottom was the phrase “TRADEMARK” in small print, and underneath in large bold letters was “PARTS AND ACCESSORIES.”

The top ribbon contained the phrases “USE CHRYSLER ENGINEERED” and “CHRYSLER CORPORATION.” A similar ribbon below the ellipse specified “for Plymouth-Dodge-DeSoto-Chrysler.” A darker shade of blue was used for lettering and outlines.

1948 – 1953

Mopar Logo 1948

The brand, which started with antifreeze, gradually expanded into engine parts, filters, heaters, radios, and a host of other products. After the advent of the Master Tech curriculum, the logo was redesigned to reflect the development of Mopar. The central inscription remains, but the name has become flatter and more distinctly geometric. The hue of the yellow ellipse shifted to a darker shade, and the color of the ribbons was replaced with a darker blue. The outlines and inscriptions outside the ellipse became white. At the top were the words “USE CHRYSLER CORPORATION” (in large letters) and “PARTS DIVISION” (in small letters), and at the very bottom was “FACTORY ENGINEERED AND INSPECTED.”

1954 – 1958

Mopar Logo 1954

The parent company briefly closed all of its parts warehouses in the post-war period. It began returning them only in 1953. And in 1954, a separate Imperial model was added to the Chrysler Corporation brands. The modernization of the Mopar logo marked these events. It turned into a white oval with a turquoise border. The text contained the name of the spare parts brand, a listing of the traditional line of cars, and the phrase “PARTS & ACCESSORIES.” The corners of the letters in the word “MOPAR” were rounded, while the “P” and “R” were serifed. A similar font was used for the last phrase.

1959 – 1963

Mopar Logo 1959

After another redesign, the names of the automobile brands turned blue and appeared in a gray ring. In the center was a red arrow pointing to the right. It had white inscriptions: “MOPAR” (with enlarged “M” and “P,” but without the usual upper underline) and “REGISTERED U.S. PATENT OFFICE.”

1964 – 1971

Mopar Logo 1964

The emblem update occurred against the backdrop of Chrysler’s attempts to take over the race car market. During that period, Mopar had many racing parts. At first, they were sold only to professional athletes, but then they became available to everyone. Therefore, the company needed a new distinctive sign.

In 1964, George Robinson designed the famous Omega-M symbol, which is still used today. Until 1971 it was red and combined with the black word “MOPAR” at the bottom. The logo debuted at the 1964 Winternationals along with the 426 Hemi engine.

1972 – 1984

Mopar Logo 1972

The brand’s new graphic symbol was made up of the day’s Plymouth, Chrysler, and Dodge signage. It also reflected the 1969 Dodge logo. The word “Mopar” was written in black inside a white rectangle, with the so-called Omega-M instead of the standard “M.” All other letters were lower case. At the top of the big blue quadrangle was the Chrysler star is known as the Pentastar: five triangles forming an open pentagon. And at the very bottom, below the lettering, was an empty red rectangle. Three differently colored blocks with different content together looked like a flag.

1985 – 1990

Mopar Logo 1985

In 1985, the designers completely redesigned the design. They put the Pentastar in a small square with rounded corners and placed it to the left of the blue word “Mopar.” And the red rectangle below turned into a narrow rectangular trapezoid. It was a two-line white text: “CHRYSLER CORPORATION GENUINE PARTS.”

1991 – 2002

Mopar Logo 1991

In 1991 the five-pointed star was moved closer to the brand name. The word “GENUINE” disappeared from the lower inscription, so the word combination was placed in one line. The red base was removed, and the text became blue.

2002 – today

Mopar Logo

The final redesign brought the logo closer to the old version, which appeared in 1964. The black lettering “MOPAR,” consisting of capital letters, became slightly smaller. The Omega-M symbol, on the contrary, was much bigger. At the same time, the designers made it dark blue. A monochrome version also used a muted shade of blue for both the design and the word.

Font and Colors of the Emblem

Mopar Emblem

When designing the Omega-M design, George Robinson wanted to please the company’s directors who wanted to reflect the newness of their marketing strategy. They wanted a design that was simple but at the same time modern and unparalleled. And the letter “M” (the first one in the word “MOPAR”), stylized as an inverted Omega sign, is perfectly suited for this purpose.

Mopar Symbol

The typography of the logo uses a modified version of the Dodger font. All letters are capitalized and have partially rounded corners. The color scheme is prescribed in the branding guide: blue (#003DA5) for Omega-M and black for the lettering. In the monochrome version, both elements are muted blue.