Publix is a trademark of Publix Super Markets, Inc. from the USA, a regional grocery chain. It is privately held and wholly owned by members of the Jenkins family and employees of the corporation. Supermarkets operate throughout the southeastern zone of the country, including Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, South Carolina. The largest number of retail outlets (831) are concentrated in the state of Florida. The central office is located in the city of Lakeland. The founder of the organization is George W. Jenkins, who registered it in 1930. Today it ranks 12th among the top 100 American firms in terms of work conditions. These are the data of Fortune magazine for the 2019th year. And Forbes ranked it 7th on the list of America’s largest private companies.
Meaning and History
The chain of stores was opened by a person who is well versed in sales: before that, Jenkins had been a manager and salesman at Piggly Wiggly for four years. He established his first retail outlet in Winter Haven, Florida, in a 3,000-square-foot building. Five years later, he launched a second store, calling it the Economy Food Store.
Despite the Great Depression raging in the country, its commercial network was profitable, so in 1940 the owner opened the first supermarket. It was equipped with the latest technology: air conditioning, music, freezers, refrigerated display cases, automatic doors, flower and donut sales departments. After World War II, businessman George W. Jenkins bought competing for All American grocery stores and replaced them with Publix Super Markets.
In 1957, the entrepreneur launched a full-service bakery at each outlet. They have supplanted donut departments. In addition to bakery products, the commercial network also produces delicacies, dairy products, and other food products. It currently has 1,239 points of sale located domestically.
When opening the first store, Jenkins chose the name Publix for it. It used to be part of the name of the ruined luxury cinemas Publix Theaters Corporation. The founder said that he just liked the word’s sound, but the cinemas were closing anyway, and they no longer needed it. Therefore, he borrowed it, making the basis of the emblem. In general, there are four modifications to the logo.
1930 – 1972
The first version of the sign adorned the facades of shops until 1972. It was simple and consisted of a name in long and bold type with a dotted line along the outline. The word “Publix ” occupied the central place,” and below, there was a small inscription “market.” It was almost imperceptible, yielding attention to the upper part. All elements were in a white circle, placed in a black square.
1972 – present
This period is famous because it marked the beginning of the iconic version of the logo – color, with rounded letters and conceptually close to the company’s strategy. It was he who opened the era of the capital “P.” The sign was not only part of the name of the supermarkets – it denoted a road with a parking lot. Therefore, it can be interpreted as a welcoming symbol inviting all passers-by and passing to wrap up in the store.
The first letter from the name of the trading network is used as an icon. It is painted white to contrast better with the green elements. The upper lumen (ring) has a solid dark green fill, and a light green square background is located around the sign. In the lower right corner is the word “Publix.” It consists of lowercase characters except for the first. Moreover, “P” looks like an inverted “b” – both in shape and size. The dot above the “i” has been made much larger than usual to match the circle in the in-letter lumen of the graphic.
1976 – present
The personal brand sign is an inscription with a wider arrangement of letters than in the first version. The designers removed the rest of the details, leaving the verbal designation of the trade network, intended not only for the emblem but also for the signs. The logo looks almost identical to the previous version – with the same rounded symbols without corners, smooth lines, the same “P” and “b.” The color is also preserved. The only difference is in the presence of free space between the letters and the reduced point above the “i,” which the developers have returned to its normal value.
2012 – present
The last identity update took place in 2012 when the trading company switched to a graphic icon, sometimes accompanied by a corporate inscription. The icon has a round shape and contains the letter “P” inside, which echoes the original version of the logo. The designers have shortened the leg but retained the similarity to the ring road. The letter is colored white, and the gap and background are green.
Font and Colors of the Emblem
The symbol of Publix’s visual identity has always been based on its name. It was used in various ways, but it always remained rounded, soft, with smooth transitions and smooth lines. Moreover, the developers transferred the text style to the icon, which also used an element from the name of the supermarket chain – the letter “P.”
The designers opted for a typeface reminiscent of Opificio Bold and Sinn Bold to match the emblem with the chosen concept. Although they are not identical to what is shown on the logo, they are still quite close, especially the letters “u” and “b.” The differences mainly concern “P,” which has more curves and is characterized by a friendly look. The second font was designed by Alec Julien and was first published by Haiku Monkey.
The key identity palette is a combination of white and green light and dark shades. This choice is not accidental since the brand is engaged in the sale of products and their production. Particular emphasis is placed on flour-baked goods and dairy products, which are usually white. Green in the palette means naturalness because it is the color of nature, a symbol of the safety and environmental friendliness of products. He is also associated with pharmacies that operate in Publix supermarkets.